What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, July 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

It'd be interesting to sit in a room as the designers develop the color schemes used in some games.  There are just some really odd choices out there.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: GJK on August 03, 2015, 08:54:23 PM
Well hopefully mine looks like it was from the 80's at the least.   :coolsmiley:

Well, to truly be from the 80s, it could use a few more white-faced-chick-with-black-spiky-hair art from Nagel around the edges.   (Seriously though, it looks very good.)

Eclipse has dice that are the colour of bits of candy corn.  (They look far worse in real life than they do here.)

And the status tracks are a horrid combo of pink, brown, and orange.

Bison

The dice well ok weird, but man is that tracker horrible looking.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  Fugly!  But the game itself is really good.

GJK

Ah yes, Nagel's.  A girl just had to know what was up when she went back to the apartment of a guy that she just met at the bar who had a bunch of Nagel's hanging on the wall!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on August 03, 2015, 10:44:14 PM
Ah yes, Nagel's.  A girl just had to know what was up when she went back to the apartment of a guy that she just met at the bar who had a bunch of Nagel's hanging on the wall!

Truth in advertising. Those were the days!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

By the way LB, what are you using for the water effects?  Is this some commercial off the shelf stuff or something that you mixed together?  I'd like to find something that could be used for adobe walls on miniature buildings and that looks like it could certainly be used for it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on August 04, 2015, 05:09:55 AM
By the way LB, what are you using for the water effects?  Is this some commercial off the shelf stuff or something that you mixed together?  I'd like to find something that could be used for adobe walls on miniature buildings and that looks like it could certainly be used for it.

The stuff I'm using is from Vallejo. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHBH1O

They do make a "still water" http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ26230-Still-Water-200ml/dp/B000PHBH14/ but honestly I don't know if it will meet your need. Yes, you can mix colors into the blue (so presumably clear, too) but the problem is the blue stuff really does shrink as it dries. So the still water might too. If you fill a mold with with the blue, it will lose about half of its volume after it dries.

There is another brand I see on Amazon but I've never used it and do not know if it works the same way or not. http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ26230-Still-Water-200ml/dp/B000PHBH14/

I have gone to hobby stores and found some stuff for making molds but haven't used them. (Like games, I tend to buy stuff for projects that never get done)

I'm sure there's something out there for you, and while I'd be happy to dig around for it unfortunately I can't give you a first hand report on how it works.

LongBlade

OK, I revisited this and added some more water effects. After letting it dry I added a few layers of dry brush to build up some of the white caps on the waves. Today is cloudy and I don't think the subtlety of the layers is showing through, but I think y'all will get the point. Sometimes with "art" you need to know when to stop adding paint, and I think I'm calling this one done.

Barthheart

That turned out really well. I'd never heard of the water effect material you used.
O0

panzerde

Came out looking really nice! Even a simple model can make a nice little diorama. Makes me long for my model building days, but I need another hobby like I need a colostomy.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: panzerde on August 09, 2015, 11:17:40 AMbut I need another hobby like I need a colostomy.

You need a colostomy?!?!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on August 09, 2015, 11:04:47 AM
That turned out really well. I'd never heard of the water effect material you used.
O0

Thanks, guys.

I found it a few years ago at the Heat of Battle convention at the WWII Museum in New Orleans. One of those random finds that turns out to be a great idea.

Bison

2 1/2 hours playing King of Tokyo this afternoon.  The oldest loves it, the second kid doesn't like to attack unless it's me, and the wife was confused the entire time.  I found it to be a lot of simple and easy to understand fun.

Jack Nastyface

Just picked up Poor Bloody Infantry by Minden Games.  A very simple "experience" game that tries to capture "going over the top" and the devastation of No Man's Land in WWI.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.