The Giant iOS Board Game Thread!

Started by son_of_montfort, January 28, 2012, 11:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Alright, my new love is the iPad 2 that I got for Christmas from my loving family! I've had the iPhone for quite some time, but the iPad opens up so much more real estate! That real estate has been capitalized by some developers to port some of the finest board games to this mobile platform!

Some of my favorites, currently installed are:

Puerto Rico

Carcassonne

Ghost Stories

Small World

The board game port of the relatively heavy Euro game Caylus was also recently released. It seems a fairly faithful rendition, the AI is fairly challenging, and the graphics are amazing! The game itself is fairly complex and has quite the learning curve (and is not particularly well-taught by the app) but once you get over that, the Caylus app is well worth the money!

Keep watching this thread for news about future board game ports to the iOS and other mobile devices!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bismarck

I have Carcassone but don't quite get it!
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bismarck on January 30, 2012, 02:35:04 PM
I have Carcassone but don't quite get it!

It is a simplistic tile placement game. What you are basically trying to do is to create a "landscape" using the tiles you draw. For example, you add parts to cities and then put a man into a city and score 2 points for every piece of that city once it is entirely closed off. With roads, you get 1 point for every road tile connected to the one your man is on once the road is "closed" by hitting another item or a crossroads. I was sure there was a tutorial... but maybe not?

There is some more nuance to the game because you can "steal" points by having more men than your opponent within a given item. Normally you can't place a man in a part of an item (road, city, field) that is connected to another man (yours or your opponents). But with careful placement, you can weasel into connecting an open piece with a a city/road/etc. already in progress.

It isn't too hard to learn, but you really need to know the key parts of the game.

Total side note, the iPad/iPhone version of Ticket to Ride is fantastic - great to play with spouses, friends, or kids!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

spelk

I really like the iPad implementation of Forbidden Island

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/forbidden-island/id427419772?mt=8

It's a devilshly clever mechanic of a board that represents a sinking island, and the punishing water swells are constantly changing your options for survival and attaining the tomb raider artifact/treasure seeking goals.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

son_of_montfort

Quote from: spelk on January 31, 2012, 03:17:52 AM
I really like the iPad implementation of Forbidden Island

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/forbidden-island/id427419772?mt=8

It's a devilshly clever mechanic of a board that represents a sinking island, and the punishing water swells are constantly changing your options for survival and attaining the tomb raider artifact/treasure seeking goals.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

Forgot to mention that one! It is really excellent! Although it is a pity it stops me from pulling out my physical copy, which has nice components.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

W8taminute

Heheh.  I have a few Apple favorites but I won't talk about them here given my less than enthusiastic reception for my thread over at the 'other' site.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

son_of_montfort

Quote from: W8taminute on February 01, 2012, 01:02:35 PM
Heheh.  I have a few Apple favorites but I won't talk about them here given my less than enthusiastic reception for my thread over at the 'other' site.   ;)

I wouldn't feel this way here - go ahead!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Keunert

Neuroshima Hex - great
Army of Frogs -ok
Ticket to Ride -ok
Samschtig Jass -great
Smart Go Pro -too smart for me
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Keunert on February 08, 2012, 05:54:43 AM
Neuroshima Hex - great
Army of Frogs -ok
Ticket to Ride -ok
Samchtig Jass -great
Smart Go Pro -to smart for me

I would like Ticket to Ride better if they didn't force me to pay another $7 to get the iPad version when I already own the iPhone version.  :-\

Also, there is another expansion for Neuroshima Hex incoming soon.

Good to see you Keunert!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Bayonet_Chris

I have a few games I have fun with on my iPad2:

Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
Crimson Steam Pirates (turn-based steampunky ship battles)
Kingdom Rush (fun fantasy tower-defense game)

LongBlade

I just got a press release about a World of Tanks app being released.

Anyone checked it out yet?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/about-wot/id496540328?mt=8
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

0kult13

Been playing Carcassonne for the last few days (android version), did not think i would like it much due to the lack of war but im finding it really quite addictive. 

spelk