UK Leaving the EU?

Started by BanzaiCat, June 22, 2016, 07:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 12, 2019, 10:43:04 AM
We've done OK since we left. What's to be afraid of?  ;D

Civil war with May in the role of Lincoln ?  O:-)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 12, 2019, 08:15:11 AM
Or let them vote again knowing now what they didn't know then.

I honestly doubt that would help.  The leave vote was rooted in racism, xenophobia, nationalism and ignorance.  Also nobody likes being told they've been lied to and fell for it.  I think a second referendum would go pretty much the same way.

Ubercat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 12, 2019, 01:46:01 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 12, 2019, 08:15:11 AM
Or let them vote again knowing now what they didn't know then.

I honestly doubt that would help.  The leave vote was rooted in racism, xenophobia, nationalism and ignorance.  Also nobody likes being told they've been lied to and fell for it.  I think a second referendum would go pretty much the same way.

And here we go, back into RPF territory.

I could state that people wanting to protect their culture and way of life is not synonymous with racism, and people who don't like going in fear of knife and acid wielding "youths" aren't being xenophobic, but where would that get us? Our very own Sauron is French, not a Brit, but I'm sure he could share some tales about the benefits of multiculturalism.

Perhaps this thread needs to die a quiet death?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Huw the Poo

You could state all those things and I could very easily oppose them (for the record I'm not a fan of multiculturalism either, but membership of the EU has less to do with that than people realise, especially the people who voted leave).

You are right about one thing, though, and that this is an inherently political subject.

Gusington

As long as it is kept civil there are no issues here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Not assuming that Brexiter's are racist and xenophobic, or stupid and easily misled, will definitely assist in maintaining civility.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Huw the Poo

Read my post again.  I didn't say all, did I?  I just said that was where the vote was rooted, and you damn well know it, whatever the reasons you personally had for voting leave.

Edit to add: By the way, people who didn't vote leave for racist reasons were misled - that is my qualified opinion on the matter.  I don't care whether you like that, and it's hardly uncivil - it's called an opposing political opinion.  You need to live with it or stay out of deeply polarising discussions.

Ubercat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 13, 2019, 02:37:22 PM
Read my post again.  I didn't say all, did I?  I just said that was where the vote was rooted, and you damn well know it, whatever the reasons you personally had for voting leave.

Edit to add: By the way, people who didn't vote leave for racist reasons were misled - that is my qualified opinion on the matter.  I don't care whether you like that, and it's hardly uncivil - it's called an opposing political opinion.  You need to live with it or stay out of deeply polarising discussions.

I'm not British, so I didn't get a vote. ;)  I also didn't claim that you said "all", though they WERE the only reasons you gave.

I'm curious what your own gripes with multiculturalism are, and if they're anything that wouldn't get you accused of racism and xenophobia by lefties. I  believe that if you're white, and have anything negative to say about unrestricted immigration, you will be called a Nazi.

- Thomas Sowell

Huw the Poo

Well I'm totally in agreement with you there.  I generally keep my mouth shut for precisely those reasons, hell I think I could probably even be fired if I said what I believe in the office.

So I will be vague, but broadly, I just don't think certain - ah - "communities" integrate well or at all with our society.  I can't stand that paradox of lefties and feminists constantly defending "certain communities" when those same "communities" hold our way of living in contempt.

I don't care if non-British people live here, but I do care when they cluster in groups and behave aggressively toward anyone else.  Contrary to the mainstream media narrative, this happens a lot.  I remember someone in the US (Trump maybe?) getting into trouble for mentioning "no go" areas in Birmingham.  Our media and all the usual talking heads reacted with instant knee-jerk indignation.  "How dare they?  There's no such thing!"  Well....there absolutely is such a thing.  I can't speak for Birmingham personally (although I wouldn't doubt it) but I have certainly seen it in other towns in this country.  Whole areas of outright hostility if you're British white.

Another case in point.  The town where I live has, for the last couple of years, attracted a lot of people from some country, I have absolutely no idea where.  But they all dress extremely similarly to the point where it's practically a uniform.  So far, so mildly unpleasant.  But the women in the office I work have mentioned, on the quiet, that they are glared at by these people and even shoved out of the way, and they're starting to dread walking around our own town centre.  I can't help but be furious about this.

Where are you from Ubercat?  One of my oldest friends is Swedish and he says it's particularly bad there.  He's told me plenty of horror stories about what it's like to be white Swedish living in certain parts of the bigger Swedish cities.

Anyway.  All of this could have been dealt with without leaving the EU.  We've always had control over our borders, which is something the leave voters never understood (or refused to believe).  And in fact, many projections indicate that immigration will rise after leaving the EU, with many more people coming from all over the world instead of mainly the EEA.  Leave voters don't understand this either.

Ubercat

Sorry, I've been sick for a few days.

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 14, 2019, 04:10:05 PM
Well I'm totally in agreement with you there.  I generally keep my mouth shut for precisely those reasons, hell I think I could probably even be fired if I said what I believe in the office.

So I will be vague, but broadly, I just don't think certain - ah - "communities" integrate well or at all with our society.  I can't stand that paradox of lefties and feminists constantly defending "certain communities" when those same "communities" hold our way of living in contempt.

I don't care if non-British people live here, but I do care when they cluster in groups and behave aggressively toward anyone else.  Contrary to the mainstream media narrative, this happens a lot.  I remember someone in the US (Trump maybe?) getting into trouble for mentioning "no go" areas in Birmingham.  Our media and all the usual talking heads reacted with instant knee-jerk indignation.  "How dare they?  There's no such thing!"  Well....there absolutely is such a thing.  I can't speak for Birmingham personally (although I wouldn't doubt it) but I have certainly seen it in other towns in this country.  Whole areas of outright hostility if you're British white.

Another case in point.  The town where I live has, for the last couple of years, attracted a lot of people from some country, I have absolutely no idea where.  But they all dress extremely similarly to the point where it's practically a uniform.  So far, so mildly unpleasant.  But the women in the office I work have mentioned, on the quiet, that they are glared at by these people and even shoved out of the way, and they're starting to dread walking around our own town centre.  I can't help but be furious about this.

I'm amazed that you can say all this, and still consider the significant majority of leave voters to simply be racist and xenophobic.

QuoteWhere are you from Ubercat?  One of my oldest friends is Swedish and he says it's particularly bad there.  He's told me plenty of horror stories about what it's like to be white Swedish living in certain parts of the bigger Swedish cities.

I'm in the US.

QuoteAnyway.  All of this could have been dealt with without leaving the EU.  We've always had control over our borders, which is something the leave voters never understood (or refused to believe).  And in fact, many projections indicate that immigration will rise after leaving the EU, with many more people coming from all over the world instead of mainly the EEA.  Leave voters don't understand this either.

If leaving the EU will make economic conditions worse in the UK (a claim that I've heard) then why would more people migrate there? The handouts that are so prevalent in Sweden and Germany would probably decline. Even though the great majority of "refugees" from certain communities are young testosterone filled men, they don't seem too inclined towards doing actual work. Why should they? Most Western European governments seem eager to put them on the dole and get their votes.

- Thomas Sowell

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ubercat on April 17, 2019, 09:28:23 AM
I'm amazed that you can say all this, and still consider the significant majority of leave voters to simply be racist and xenophobic.

That's because I think they are.  Not sure how you can't see that, unless you think what I said is racist?  Hint: it isn't.  And being someone who has lived here all my life, I can say confidently that I know other Britons far better than you do.  I'm telling you - racism is absolutely rife here.

QuoteIf leaving the EU will make economic conditions worse in the UK (a claim that I've heard) then why would more people migrate there? The handouts that are so prevalent in Sweden and Germany would probably decline. Even though the great majority of "refugees" from certain communities are young testosterone filled men, they don't seem too inclined towards doing actual work. Why should they?

Conditions might worsen here, but they will still be overall better than many places, especially when immigration will open up to the whole world and not just the EEA.

QuoteMost Western European governments seem eager to put them on the dole and get their votes.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.  Yes, I'm sure the governing party of the day plan just that - invite a load of migrants in and make them really happy, just so they get more votes!  Jesus christ, you're about as tin-foil-hat as the people who say we should leave the EU because of fears of some federal superstate that is secretly being constructed.

By the way - I can't speak for other countries, but the belief that people are allowed to just flood into the UK and live a life of luxury on the taxpayer is complete and utter bollocks.  Life without work in this country is fucking hard, I know because I've seen it.  Just to throw out a random fact: by the government's own rather conservative statistics, more than a third of our homeless aren't UK nationals.

Sir Slash

I'd say that's part of your problem right there-- more than a third of your homeless aren't UK nationals? Shouldn't those homeless be homeless in the country where they ARE nationals? Why should the hard-working UK taxpayers foot the bill for taking care of them? Maybe the EU has a plan to take care of them, or pay to take care of them, or move them where they can be taken care of. Or maybe their plan is for you to take care of them and call it racist if you question it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 17, 2019, 10:29:26 AM
Shouldn't those homeless be homeless in the country where they ARE nationals? Why should the hard-working UK taxpayers foot the bill for taking care of them?

What care do you think homeless people get, especially paid for by taxpayers?  I'll give you a clue: the answer rhymes with "nun".  Besides, I - as I hope many other people - would rather see nobody homeless, regardless of where they came from.

QuoteMaybe the EU has a plan to take care of them, or pay to take care of them, or move them where they can be taken care of.

Again, this is the same problem no matter the country.  There's no Europe-wide "plan" for tackling homelessness.

QuoteOr maybe their plan is for you to take care of them and call it racist if you question it.

I don't follow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 17, 2019, 10:42:56 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 17, 2019, 10:29:26 AM
QuoteMaybe the EU has a plan to take care of them, or pay to take care of them, or move them where they can be taken care of.
Again, this is the same problem no matter the country.  There's no Europe-wide "plan" for tackling homelessness.

Doesn't it tell you something about our society when it takes one day for the French to find a billion to rebuild a cathedral while people who are protesting for weeks hear there is no money for them.

You might check the Groghead in trouble thread about Sauron who lived on the streets in France for a while ( http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23192.0 )