The Hunters

Started by Nefaro, November 18, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

So.. GJK said he received shipping notification late last week.  Anyone else?

I show being charged after Friday but still no shipping notification Monday evening.  Perhaps they had quite a few to send out and I'm one of the last (per usual).  :-[ 

I've been looking forward to this one more than most of my many recent acquisitions.

GJK

Clarification: I received a notice that my card was charged (it was) on 11/14 but didn't receive a shipping notice.

Looking at the last GMT update, it says that:

"...that will allow us to ship the following two games starting this Friday, November 15:
C&C Napoleonics: The Austrian Army
No Retreat: The North African Front"

Then:

"We anticipate another P500 shipment probably about ten days after that one with these two games included:
The Dark Valley
The Hunters (Consim Press)"

So that would put the ship date for The Hunters on or around the 25th - about a week from today.

I stopped by Half Price Books today to look for a good U-Boat book but found none.  I had an ebook that I don't recall the name of but do remember that it was written by a former U-boat commander and translated to English.  I may have to resort to reading it on my tablet though I'd prefer a regular book.  I'll have to see what that ebook was.  Any other recommendations on a good read to get one in the mood for The Hunters?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on November 18, 2013, 10:29:32 PMAny other recommendations on a good read to get one in the mood for The Hunters?

I'd have to really dive deep into my library to find something to recommend.  If I can't come up with something, maybe someone could sub in for me as an advisor to help you out.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2013, 07:07:31 AM
Quote from: GJK on November 18, 2013, 10:29:32 PMAny other recommendations on a good read to get one in the mood for The Hunters?

I'd have to really dive deep into my library to find something to recommend.  If I can't come up with something, maybe someone could sub in for me as an advisor to help you out.

All I have in my library is Operation Drumbeat and Das Boot. Maybe someone else will dive in here with more suggestions.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Iron Coffins is the book that I was thinking of.  It was a free Kindle download a while back and added it to my library but haven't begun to read it yet.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

ARGH! Puns! Not here in the world of real wargaming!!!  >:(

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this game as well.... but the way it's going it'll show up on my door step the day after I leave on vacation for a month.... :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on November 19, 2013, 07:56:06 AMARGH! Puns! Not here in the world of real wargaming!!!  >:(

You're right.  We shouldn't torpedo another thread with ridiculous humor.  Let's get back to slinging dice, sink the puns, and let the wargaming surface above the depths of our otherwise pun-tastic depravity.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2013, 09:11:51 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 19, 2013, 07:56:06 AMARGH! Puns! Not here in the world of real wargaming!!!  >:(

You're right.  We shouldn't torpedo another thread with ridiculous humor.  Let's get back to slinging dice, sink the puns, and let the wargaming surface above the depths of our otherwise pun-tastic depravity.

>:(

MengJiao

Quote from: GJK on November 18, 2013, 10:29:32 PM
Clarification: I received a notice that my card was charged (it was) on 11/14 but didn't receive a shipping notice.

"...that will allow us to ship the following two games starting this Friday, November 15:

Then:

"We anticipate another P500 shipment probably about ten days after that one with these two games included:
The Dark Valley

So that would put the ship date for The Hunters on or around the 25th - about a week from today.

I stopped by Half Price Books today to look for a good U-Boat book but found none.  I had an ebook that I don't recall the name of but do remember that it was written by a former U-boat commander and translated to English.  I may have to resort to reading it on my tablet though I'd prefer a regular book.  I'll have to see what that ebook was.  Any other recommendations on a good read to get one in the mood for The Hunters?

There's Clay Blair's two volume Hitler's U-boat War, the first volume of which is called The Hunters.  Blair was in US submarines in WWII, but his books on the U-boats are comprehensive and tell plenty of stories as well as doing some fundamental statistical analyses.

Grimnirsson

Second the recommendation regarding Clay Blair's two books on the subject - have them both, good read
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GJK

I'll keep an eye out for copies of those books, thanks.

Meanwhile, some game related videos are going up:

http://www.screencast.com/users/consimworld/folders/The%20Hunters
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Have you guys seen this site:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTBList.htm

This page has actual patrol logs from U-boat commanders. It's very interesting reading.

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on November 18, 2013, 10:29:32 PM

Then:

The Dark Valley

Yeah, that's the one I saw.  I had thought you mentioned a specific email to you.  Doah!  Got me all excited.. then worried.

Nefaro

This was posted on 'The Geek' by someone listed from Consimworld:

I don't know if you saw this mentioned, but initial shipping to preorder customers will start Friday, Dec. 6.

bob48

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2013, 09:11:51 AM

I'm watching you, my lad. Don't get carried away by the pressure.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!