Squad Battles Rally Process

Started by Rick_Bennett, December 30, 2018, 12:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Bennett

I was given the John Tiller Squad Battles Vietnam game for Christmas and I am having a problem with how to rally my troops when Pinned, Disrupted, Broken etc.  I place the leader with the demoralized squad,  high light both of them, and push the Rally command button, and all I get is an error message.

Can anyone give some insight into what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for any help in advance

JasonPratt

I'm sure someone here can help, though not me since I don't know the system.  :-[

Welcome to the forum, though!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Its been sooooo long since I played anything in the SB series, but I don't remember the rally process being difficult to sort out.

What does your error message say exactly?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

When dongles fly? - mirth

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Moreb

nelmsm

They won't rally disrupted units, only those who are pinned or broken.  Using the flag can bring a unit from pinned or broken status to disrupted status.

Moreb

Quote from: nelmsm on December 30, 2018, 01:41:41 PM
They won't rally disrupted units, only those who are pinned or broken.  Using the flag can bring a unit from pinned or broken status to disrupted status.

I have to disagree. The rules state (paraphased) that leaders can rally demoralized and pinned units in the same hex costing 1/3 movement points for each unit attempted and that if successful both are still disrupted.

In fact, if a unit is pinned or demoralized and not fired upon for an entire turn they can automatically rally on a special roll of 1, again becoming disrupted but unpinned/undemoralised

nelmsm

Sure I didn't mention the automatic rally but what I stated is no different then what you stated that I can see.

Moreb

Quote from: nelmsm on December 30, 2018, 04:20:37 PM
Sure I didn't mention the automatic rally but what I stated is no different then what you stated that I can see.

I'm sorry. I misread that as demoralized.

Micha

I have playd SB for some years but gave it up finally because of the ( from my standpoint ) complicated rules .

Jack Nastyface

IIRC, your leader needs to be in the same hex as the shaken unit, and then you can select the rally icon (red flag??) to have him rally the troops in that hex.  Because rallying requires action points, I try to do it as my leaders first action (meaning...if you move into a hex with pinned or disrupted units, you may not have enough AP to rally).
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

jomni

Quote from: Micha on January 01, 2019, 08:35:43 AM
I have playd SB for some years but gave it up finally because of the ( from my standpoint ) complicated rules .

It plays like X-com. Lol. Lots of little nuances and actions. Not your typical board and counter game.

Micha

Quote from: jomni on January 04, 2019, 08:24:20 PM
Quote from: Micha on January 01, 2019, 08:35:43 AM

It plays like X-com. Lol. Lots of little nuances and actions. Not your typical board and counter game.

Yes.