New gaming table enters the market.

Started by Barthheart, August 27, 2017, 06:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Nefaro

I'd be really wary of having a magnetic table considering all the electronic devices people tend to set on them.  :hide:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on August 27, 2017, 10:45:23 AM
I'd be really wary of having a magnetic table considering all the electronic devices people tend to set on them.  :hide:

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tried to scramble the info on a credit card with various devices and strong magnets. It turned out to be surprisingly difficult. I imagine that tablets and cell phones are pretty resistant to basic EM fields as well, especially since many can now be charged wirelessly through inductive chargers.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm still waiting for my god-damned Duchess table that I kick started back during the Harper administration.

GJK

Just don't bump into the thing...looks like it would tip over rather easily.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 27, 2017, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 27, 2017, 10:45:23 AM

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tried to scramble the info on a credit card with various devices and strong magnets. It turned out to be surprisingly difficult. I imagine that tablets and cell phones are pretty resistant to basic EM fields as well, especially since many can now be charged wirelessly through inductive chargers.

It's not magnetic strips I was worried about, but devices like tablets, smart phones, notebook computers, etc.

Specifically the digital storage on them.  Hard disks, memory, etc.  Those can definitely get corrupted, or wiped, if close enough.  Especially hard disks since they use electromagnetism to read/write the data on the platters.  That's the reason things like desktop computer speakers have some magnetic shielding built-in.  Don't want a hard drive too close to the speaker magnet unprotected!  ;)

Staggerwing

Most portable electronics use solid-state memory nowadays. SSDs and Flash memory are not sensitive to magnetic fields.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys