2018 Running World Cup Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, June 18, 2018, 06:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 28, 2018, 07:47:15 PM
Don't mind then MD. I might even give you a break from puns for a few days to allow you to concentrate :)

You are a gentleman and a scholar.  The other two are just jealous.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

Pete Dero

For those who watched the game.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Just watched that real time.  I also noticed that the overwhelmingly male England section didn't get as much screen time celebrating as the forlorn young Swedish women mourning.  Totally not complaining.  :smitten:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Con

I read a study that explained the homeliness of the brits was due to 1000 years of selective Viking raiding. Only the ugly were left while the Vikings became Norse supermodels

JudgeDredd

As a Scot living in England, I can tell you it's a nightmare - and not for the reasons you may think.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Most of the Croatian team look like their hobbies include chewing aluminum cans and ethnic cleansing.

ComradeP

Some of them certainly are rough, and Modric and Lovren may in the near future be accused of perjury in a case against some criminal and club owner who fled to Bosnia to avoid imprisonment.

However, the game from the weekend probably wore them out, the field looked like a sponge even though there was no water on the grass. Some of them took a blow or two, it was fairly rough. All in all, the English team plays and wins in very unimaginative but highly effective ways, just like the French. For all the talk about the French superstar generation and the nice actions by individuals, the teamplay isn't pretty to look at.

Highlights in today's game include that 5-3-2 defensive wall on the English half and yet another goal from a set piece situation with Kane failing spectacularly when attempting to score a goal during normal play.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bayonetbrant

So far, England are playing their gameplay better than the Croatians are.

The biggest difference with the England team compared to almost any other (especially the 90s-era teams) is that these guys seem to genuinely enjoy representing England and really believe in the shirt.
So many of their predecessors treated playing for the national team like it was a chore to be endured instead of an honor to be earned and enjoyed.

ComradeP

The English attempts to turn it into a masonry match have ended after the 1-1, that's something.

It makes the sport much less appealing if a team just defends and then starts running when there's a chance to counter.

I do hope it won't be another extra time+penalties game.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Pete Dero

Quote from: ComradeP on July 11, 2018, 02:48:39 PM
It makes the sport much less appealing if a team just defends and then starts running when there's a chance to counter.

Even more when you lose from such a team (as we did yesterday playing against France)  :pullhair:  :tickedoff:
And probably such a team will become World Champion.

bayonetbrant

There's limited comfort in looking good while losing