Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 377573 times)

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #4425 on: May 08, 2018, 05:55:21 AM »
Alexander the Great by Philip Freeman was also very good. Just started Ghost on the Throne by James Romm, on the Alexandrian Succession Wars.
"I have to say, it sure does look like somewhere I would really, really like.  Except for the cold of course.  But, I'll bet I could adapt to that. ”

- Toonces, The Arctic Wonder Commander

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can’t ‘un’ until you ‘pre’, son." - Gus

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #4427 on: May 20, 2018, 01:16:39 PM »
Ghost on the Throne was good but complicated - I enjoyed Alexander the Great more.

About to start The Poison King - The Life and Legend of Mithradates by Adrienne Mayor.
"I have to say, it sure does look like somewhere I would really, really like.  Except for the cold of course.  But, I'll bet I could adapt to that. ”

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #4428 on: May 24, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
Just finished, "The Battles and Campaigns of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest" by Brig. Gen. John Scales. A very good book about Forrest's Civil War record, not so much about the man himself, with assessments of his tactics and operational abilities as his experience increased during the war. It even includes step-by-step directions to almost all of his battles and campaigns if you're ever near the Tennessee/Mississippi/Alabama area. I enjoyed it greatly.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4429 on: May 24, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Finished Guadalcanal Diary.  First time I've read it since junior high.  I bought a kindle copy of Vietnam Diary by the same author for less than $4.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #4430 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
I just downloaded the Kindle app and my first book for it...Lord have mercy.

Offline trailrunner

• Viking
  • southeast of disorder
« Reply #4431 on: May 25, 2018, 05:45:14 AM »

Since my current job has me working on Navy systems, I figured this book would be appropriate.  I also think I got it for free on my Kindle.  Sort of looks like an modern version of Red Storm Rising, which I read almost 30 years ago.

Offline Airborne Rifles

• Man-at-Arms
    • Northern Fury
« Reply #4432 on: May 25, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »

Since my current job has me working on Navy systems, I figured this book would be appropriate.  I also think I got it for free on my Kindle.  Sort of looks like an modern version of Red Storm Rising, which I read almost 30 years ago.

Enjoyed that one a great deal. The author has some short fiction about future war out as well through Naval Institute Press.

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #4433 on: May 25, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
^ Thank you much for the heads up on that. It's free for Prime members.

Offline bbmike

• Crossbowman
    • AAR Central
« Reply #4434 on: May 25, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »
trailrunner, I can't remember, do you work in DC? There was a DC thread here somewhere about maybe a DC Grogheads meetup.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

“Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth.”
-Clifford D. Simak

Offline trailrunner

• Viking
  • southeast of disorder
« Reply #4435 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
trailrunner, I can't remember, do you work in DC? There was a DC thread here somewhere about maybe a DC Grogheads meetup.

I live in Springfield and work at the Pentagon.  I don't remember seeing the thread here about a meet up, but I'm set for this weekend.  I'm doing the DC Conscripts ASL Human Wave in two weekends.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #4436 on: May 26, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
I just downloaded the Kindle app and my first book for it...Lord have mercy.

:o Christ, Gus, as someone with equivalently low impulse control in buying games and books, allow me to warn you away from that a little too late!

:D
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #4437 on: May 26, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
^Have mercy!

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4438 on: May 26, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
^Have mercy!

I have horrible impulse control on purchasing inexpensive history books.  I have enough now that I probably won't be able to read them all before I die of old age.  But they are so hard to turn down.

I'm slowly reading The Sleepwalkers about the origins of World War 1 and it is amazing.  I know a lot more about the Balkins in the late 1890s to 1914 than I ever did, which is really interesting since I've been to most of those countries.  I got that book for either $1.99 or $2.99. 

They keep piling up.  Then Pete Dero gives recommendations for history books that are even free - which sucks away even more reading.  I'm about 25% through "Never Say Goodbye" which is a story of a couple of people during WW2 prior to combat.  And it is interesting.

Guadacanal Diary for $1.99.  Reread it for the first time in 45 years.  Then bought Vietnam Diary for less than $4. 

Every single history book written by Walter Lord excepting the one focusing completely on the North Pole expedition.

I could go on, and on, and on.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #4439 on: May 26, 2018, 10:37:22 PM »
Please don’t. I loved Sleepwalkers...I read a hardcopy of that.