Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

(Due to quirkiness in how the game processes gravity and physics, the counters are currently shiver-creeping along in a hilarious fashion. Clearly the Marian reforms haven't happened yet...  :)) )

In lieu of other factors, the War with the oldest printed date gets resolved first.

So, Quinctius Cincinnatus vs. the Volscii!!

Cinc has led the 1st through 3rd Legions to the Volscia border, and prepares to receive the alea fati.

Total Legions: 3
Commander's Mil up to Legion total: +3
War Strength: -2

= Dice Roll Modifier +4

Add to 3d6 total...

[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 4, 6, 2, total 12[/blockquote]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Add DRM 4 to 3d6 total 12 (no D/S result) = 16.

Victory! -- with 2 Legions as casualties. 1st and 2nd Legions fail their rolls last, and go back to the potential Force Pool. 3rd Legion goes back to Active Pool. Draws 2 Mortality chits, but Cinc's family is safe.

Unrest down 1 from 1 to 0. Republic gains 5 Talents from spoils, up to 41. New local territory unlocks Tax Farming Concessions 3 and 4.

Cin's Popularity goes up half War strength, so 2 / 2 = +1; but he loses that point again for losing two Legions. Influence also goes up by the same +1, from 10 to 11. Aristocrats farm 1 extra Inf point to be given to another Aristo senator. New Total Influence 28; Normal Vote recovers to 9.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

Marcus Furius Camillus declares "Teneat dolor meus!"

Total Legions: 4
Cam's consequent Mil limit: +4
War power: -4
Net DRM: +4

Roll 3d6...

[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 2, total 9[/blockquote]

JasonPratt

Add DRM +4 to 3d6 roll total 9 (no D/S result) = 13. Stalemate, no losses!

All Legions remain alive, no Mortality chits drawn for Camilus. Camy loses Field Marshal office (for being away from Rome on extended campaign, not for the non-Victory exactly), and becomes the Republic's first Proconsul!

Proconsuls cannot take units out to a War, and have no authority back at the Senate, but can receive reinforcement units, and can attack Wars. They can be recalled by the Senate (once a Senate is in session), and can be reinforced by a Consul arriving to attack the War with his own Force.

4 remaining Legions >= War Land Force 4, so "minimum Force" applies. War counts as Prosecuted for this Turn, so will not move to Unprosecuted slot. (If minimum Force does not remain, War would count as Unprosecuted.)

The rules, fortunately, do not ever require extra upkeep for units away from Rome, only the usual 2 Talents per turn.

This ends the Combat Phase!

I will now double-check Players for valid Faction cards able to be played in the Revolution Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN THREE -- REVOLUTION PHASE
-----------------------------------------

If any Players have valid Concessions and/or Statesmen to play to their mat, I have sent you a p-mail about it by now.

No one is able to Rebel against the Senate yet until the Early Era (and if you have enough Influence).

No one needs to reduce your Faction cards, so play any valid ones I've mentioned to you privately, and/or trade or donate for considerations as you see fit.

I'll start processing the first Phases of Turn Four, and if Players declare any cards I'll process those post hoc.

JasonPratt

TURN FOUR -- MORTALITY PHASE
--------------------------------------

Congratulations on the Republic surviving to Turn 4! Unrest is at a perfect low, the Republic's Treasury is reasonably full with more on the way soon, and your first Proconsul is handily keeping the nearby city of Veii from invading your borders.

Nor are there any Immanent Wars to Activate.

The Furies are apparently infatuated with the Flaminian boys, however, for after a vigorous shuffle, family #13 is drawn from the death bag again!!  :wow:

(...not necessarily the best trio to catch the affections of?)

Fortunately, the family sends yet another new scion as Senator immediately, to keep control of the Faction Leadership. So in effect all that happens is Flam's popularity goes back to 0 from 2. Total Influence and Normal Vote Tallies remain the same (5 and 3).

I don't suppose it's much of a spoiler to confirm that there is at least one valid Faction card to be played from the Revolution Phase, which will naturally affect at least one Faction income calculation; so I'll wait until the Players have caught up before proceeding.

Erax

Plautius gets another Tax Farmer Concession.

JasonPratt

Tripoli has told me by p-mail, that he's going to give a Tax Concession to Julius.

So I'll resolve those later this afternoon, 8 or 9 hours from now, and present the Players with their Faction accounting and income options for this Turn.

JasonPratt

TURN FOUR -- REVENUE PHASE
-----------------------------------

Segment One, Faction Income.

All Factions will have enough new Total that any number of Players could choose one of their senators to put on the lowest level of games (7 Talents), but there's no Unrest to reduce so be aware you'd only be buying 1 Popularity this way. (Though the Popularists would farm another 1 Pop as well; and Pop is how they get their activist votes.)

Some Factions will have enough new Total that a senator could donate 10 Talents to the Republic and pick up 1 Influence (which the Aristocrats would then spawn another Inf point from).

All Factions will have enough to give at least one senator 5 Talents for an automatic knight persuasion.

The Conservative Faction Leader Camilus is still off at War; but senators at War still generate all income anyway. I've copy-pasted him into the Conservative mat snapshot, for convenience!

Starting with Player One, clockwise:

I.I.'s Aristocrats: 0 starting cash; +0 senator cash; +3 +2 senator incomes; +1 +1 knight incomes; +3 Harbor Fees; +3 paid back by the Progressives (finishing contract) = new Faction Total 13 Talents.

Tripoli's Militarists: 8 starting cash; +0 senator cash; +3 +1 senator income; +1 +1 knight income; +2 Tax Farming = new Faction Total 16 Talents.

The Frog's Plutocrats: 3 starting cash; +0 senator cash; +5 (Plutocrat bonus) +2 senator income; +2x2 (Plutocrat bonus) knight income; plus 0 Concessions = 14 Talents.

AzTank's Conservatives: 5 starting cash; +2 +2 +2 +2 senator cash; +3 +3 senator income; +1 knight income; +0 Concessions; +4 (1d6 roll) PontMax income = 24 Talents.

Malize's Populists: 3 starting cash; +0 senator cash; +3 +1 senator income; +1 knight income; +3 Mining Concession = 11 Talents.

Erax's Progressives: 0 starting cash; +0 senator cash; +3 +1 senator income; +0 knight income; +2 +2 Tax Faming Concessions; -3 paid back to the Aristocrats (completing that loan) = 5 Talents.

Erax is going to be away from his computer for a while, so he p-mailed me with distribution instructions: 2 to each senator, keeping 1. I've already made the adjustments in the snapshot.

IncompetentIdiot

5 to Cornelius, 2 each to Cincinnatus and Valerius.

JasonPratt

I should add that not only do Proconsuls generate income, they can receive distributions and spend the money while still on campaign. The risk of course is that if they're killed, any unspent cash they're carrying will be lost.

This could be relevant to AzTank this Turn, but might be relevant for any Faction's senators later.  O:-)

malize

Populist — 5 to Aurelius, remainder stays in faction cash

Tripoli

Militarists: 5 to Manlius, Remainder to faction cash
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

The Frog sends a chat message that he'll give 4 Talents to each of his senators and keep the rest in Faction cash.