Latest Mission Impossible

Started by Centurion40, July 27, 2018, 10:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Meh.

Ok, it looked nice, etc. But it was just more of the same. Car chase, fight, Tom Cruise stunt - repeat. Pause for nonsensical character decision to advance the plot; then return to reverse formula of Tom stunt, fight, then a chase.

I can't even spoil the ending it's all so predictable.
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

Pretty much thought the entire movie was the trailer and the rest was Tom Cruise standing on crates so he doesn't look shorter than the others while on camera.

Sir Slash

So it's a 'Wait for a slow, free HBO Weekend'. I'll remember that. Thanks for taking one for us Centurion.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 28, 2018, 09:51:27 AM
So it's a 'Wait for a slow, free HBO, bourbon filled Weekend'. I'll remember that. Thanks for taking one for us Centurion.  ;D

ftfy
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

I haven't really enjoyed any MI movie since the first one.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw it today mainly as a way to beat the heat.  Nonsensical story, "twists" you'll see coming a mile away, and bland characters but very well done action sequences. 

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought the last few were alright.  I think the one with Phil Hoffman was the best.  The first two were the worst.

Staggerwing

So skipping all of them after MI #1 was not a good move?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you've really got an itch to see convoluted plots that make little sense, countdown timers, Tom Cruise running, 'splodey things, and the ol' Scooby-Doo rubber mask trick in every single movie then check 'em out.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 31, 2018, 09:35:04 PM
If you've really got an itch to see convoluted plots that make little sense, countdown timers, Tom Cruise running, 'splodey things, and the ol' Scooby-Doo rubber mask trick in every single movie then check 'em out.

truth  O0

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 31, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
So skipping all of them after MI #1 was not a good move?

Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2018, 09:31:01 PM
You really haven't missed much

They're kind-of more important as part of their directors' ouvre than anything, including #1. #2 was John Woo's big-budget opening curtain in America. (Hard Target wasn't a major budget.) JJ Abrams directed #3; Brad Bird directed #4; Christopher McQuarrie has directed the most recent two (also the first Jack Reacher movie, and the Way of the Gun) but is more known as a writer, including for several Tom Cruise projects (and going back to freaking Usual Suspects for Bryan Singer!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!