Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

If I read the below correctly, it will premier on TV, but then subsequent episodes will be online/subscriber only?  :idiot2:

Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek may be returning to the small screen.

Prolific producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new Star Trek has been picked up straight to series at CBS, with the premiere slated for the network in January 2017. Subsequent episodes will air on its digital and VOD platform, CBS All Access. The premiere and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, the network's digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-tv-series-works-828638

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

I think you're reading it right. Sounds like CBS is trying to get onto the streaming bandwagon like everyone else, and they know they have to draw people in. Holding Star Trek fans hostage is certainly one way, but I guarantee any such episodes will be prolifically shared on free sites throughout the Internutterwebz, so that's kind of a silly grail beacon to hope for.

JasonPratt

Also, you can expect BD/DVDs eventually. You'll have to pay for them of course, but you'll have the advantage of hearing buzz from review outlets first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

This is one occasion when it might be beneficial not to live in the USA to watch a US show.  Apparently the series will be distributed internationally, so it might be that we in the UK, for example, get the whole series on air shortly after it streams on CBS.

As an aside, are the TV networks in the USA actually hoping people will get subscriber packages to all of them?  So instead of one cable package, you now have to get HBO, CBS, etc individually to be able to watch everything you could've got through a single cable package?  Or am I misunderstanding?

bbmike

Alex Kurtzman + 2009 Star Trek (2009) co-writer and executive producer =
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

^^ This does not inspire much confidence in me, I admit.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2015, 04:38:37 PM
^^ This does not inspire much confidence in me, I admit.
Nor I.  Between that, and the required subscription to CBS's streaming service, my interest in this series is already hovering at just a hair above zero. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Quote from: bbmike on February 26, 2016, 05:34:00 PM
This is interesting but I still think this show will suck. Nicholas Meyer joins new Star Trek Series.
Theoretically, a positive development.  Will it be enough, though? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

WallysWorld

With Meyer on board, there are always possibilities.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

I still haven't forgiven Meyer for Star Trek VI. One of my least favorite Trek films and not even close to what he accomplished with Wrath of Khan.

Of course, he did direct (and write a fair amount of) Wrath of Khan so I can't really be mad at the man.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the Meyer.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: WallysWorld on February 26, 2016, 09:14:12 PM
With Meyer on board, there are always possibilities.

What you did there, I saw it.

Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2016, 03:43:34 PM
I still haven't forgiven Meyer for Star Trek VI. One of my least favorite Trek films and not even close to what he accomplished with Wrath of Khan.

He was also very much involved in IV, and to a lesser extent in III (iirc).

That said, a ton of people loved VI, myself included -- not near the heights of II certainly, but...

Huw the Poo

Yeah, I thought The Undiscovered Country was second only to Wrath of Khan.