Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Started by mirth, May 16, 2018, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Why? After an overrated and fanbase-insulting first entry (I realize I'm in the minority on that), and an uneven somewhat schizophrenic second entry (which I'm a critical fan of) -- both of whom were arty artists arting art as hard as they could art it from their artifices (keeping in mind I love John Woo but still)...

...3, 4, and 5 have been solid entries that pulled the stories (somewhat) back from being Cruisecentric solo films, onto the trademark teamwork again. Much more respectful and consistent use of the original series music, too, which is its own beloved legacy-character.

Sadly but I guess predictably they've still been about rogue M:I ops or close equivalents. That could stand to be improved.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

I found the last couple unwatchable. In fact, the first one was the only one I enjoyed and that was only as a nostalgia throwback.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

I liked the style of the first one but agree with JP turning Phelps bad (spoiler alert) was a BS way to write the character out of lore. It was cheap and tainted the character to no end.

I actually liked the 2nd on moreso than the ones that came after. But in reality starting with number 2 they just drove headfirst into the "predictable action movie" bin.
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

I liked the first one, couldn't stand the second one and so bailed on the rest

New one grabbed my interest again though
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

The trailer is pretty much all the interesting bits in these movies. You see the trailer, you don't need to see any of the rest of it.

bbmike

The next one, Mission: Impossible - Nursing Home, is bound to be better.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Arctic Blast

I seem to recall watching the last one, and yet I cannot remember a single thing about it at all. Same with the one before that. Clearly they're very interesting and memorable fare.  ;D

BanzaiCat

The only impossible mission is finding co-stars willing to stand in a hole in the ground so Tom Cruise doesn't look like a midget next to them.  :DD