OCS Korea at CGSC

Started by James Sterrett, January 12, 2017, 07:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Sterrett

In addition to the article posted by Rex at Paxsims, I also got posted up a description of playing OCS Korea at CGSC:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705543/ocs-korea-cgsc

Complete with dodgy cellphone pictures!

mirth

Great stuff! I've long wanted to own/play OCS Korea.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

I thought this was an excellent observation:

QuoteSome things became suddenly obvious just looking at the map during planning.  I had never before understood that Seoul was key terrain because every rail line between North and South Korea ran through Seoul. Likewise, I learned that MacArthur landed at Inchon because it is the shortest route to Seoul and it simultaneously offers a port so the effort can be supplied effectively.  The Communists did not drive hard down the eastern side of the Korean peninsula because the transportation net can't support the logistics to do it. These may seem to be "duh" moments, but when you are planning your own operations in the game, they hit with the force of revelation, illustrating one of the educational advantages of playing a game: it forces you to engage the situation, instead of passively observing it, and can therefore help in understanding some of the dilemmas and decisions the historical situation presented.

One of the big reasons I love historical wargaming right there.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

James Sterrett

Cyrano

The critique in the de-brief re: inadequate representation of political constraints and realities is insightful.  We as wargamers love to watch the lay of the land and imagine sighting a 12-pounder just so, but there are so many more calculations that can be difficult to include without threatening to topple the entire system -- sort of an inverse Jenga.  One is reminded of Napoleon's constant fears of coup or rebellion back in France or the inability of Italian troops to make their beloved pasta in the desert.

I've never been one much for the concept of "mindfulness", but playing wargames mindfully, the only word I've been able to come up with to describe the experience of command staff gaming, is just so very awesome.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

James Sterrett

Yep.  Played with the right mindset, it is a window.  Through a glass darkly is better than no window at all.  :)