Boyer needs opinions

Started by bboyer66, January 06, 2017, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

First off, I am looking to scratch the WWI strategic itch. Either Storm of Steel by Decision Games, or Balance of Powers by Compass games. Any opinions on these two games.

Second Question
What do you think is the best spiritual successor to the old PanzerBlitz or Panzer Leader AH games.  Is there anything out there that has the same feel of those classics, at the platoon level?

Bison

Jim Day's Panzer and expansions is a great armor focused game series.  I don't know that is a successor per say but the scenarios and rules to create your own battles provides a great deal of replay-ability.  It's also very solo friendly.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bboyer66 on January 06, 2017, 10:55:57 AMWhat do you think is the best spiritual successor to the old PanzerBlitz or Panzer Leader AH games.  Is there anything out there that has the same feel of those classics, at the platoon level?

PanzerGrenadier has tried to be that game, but I've tried 3-4 times to get into it and I just can't.

You might check out LNLP's Nations at War series when it's back in print soon.  Same scale, same feel, but buckets o' dice combat resolution instead of a CRT.

You could check out Engage & Destroy, but the counter clutter gives me seizures
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1ddc80fd/0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Crossroads

I often browse the BoardgameGeek Market, managed to find MMP's PanzerBlitz2 Hill of Death for three tenners two years ago. So perhaps worth a shout. Gorgeous graphics, uses the brand name, but rules are completely overhauled with impulses etc. There's often a few copies available on 2nd hand market. I quite don't get why it got such a bad rep when it came out, possibly because old PB / PL players did not like the extensive changes?

+1 on LnL Nations At War, is a fun system.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

Quote from: bboyer66 on January 06, 2017, 10:55:57 AM
First off, I am looking to scratch the WWI strategic itch. Either Storm of Steel by Decision Games, or Balance of Powers by Compass games. Any opinions on these two games.

I own BoP. Haven't played it yet, but planning to get it on the table soon. It looks great and the reviews have been very good. I like the fact that it allows up to 7 players.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Crossroads on January 06, 2017, 12:40:29 PM
I often browse the BoardgameGeek Market, managed to find MMP's PanzerBlitz2 Hill of Death for three tenners two years ago. So perhaps worth a shout. Gorgeous graphics, uses the brand name, but rules are completely overhauled with impulses etc. There's often a few copies available on 2nd hand market. I quite don't get why it got such a bad rep when it came out, possibly because old PB / PL players did not like the extensive changes?

There were a handful of things about the game that were fundamentally broken.  IIRC, the LOS rules defied the laws of physics altogether.

here's part of the discussion
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd03ccd/2197
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2017, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 06, 2017, 12:40:29 PM

There were a handful of things about the game that were fundamentally broken.  IIRC, the LOS rules defied the laws of physics altogether.

here's part of the discussion
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd03ccd/2197

Cheers, I was  a latecomer to the game so I had the 2.0 rules to begin with. I see the errata for 1.0 rules refers to LOS quite a few times.

There were a few parts of rules I had to read several times, though. Maybe I missed something as well. I am quite relaxed regarding rules, if we can't figure out something for sure we then come up with an interpretation and game on rather than get stuck  :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GJK

Nothing to add except that the "Storm of Steel" game needs a "fix-it" kit to make it work and unlike GMT, DG charged for it apparently so be aware of that if you're looking to purchase. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bboyer66

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Cyrano

If you're intent on playing on a tabletop, get a ton of PB/PL for next to nothing and play some macro games.  The system still does not suck.  Also, the devoted have created lovely variant counters for just about every nation in WWII.  I've not invested, but may yet by the oversized counters and maps that are very nice to look at.  It's not the simulation some seem to want, but I've not been moved to replace it.

If you're willing to have a go at a PC game, definitely check out the great stuff being done in the PzB series by Tiller.  Doug and I haven't taken the plunge just yet but someday I may have a go at the Normandy campaign at the PL level which this system makes possible.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Cyrano

...and the pretty, pretty counters!
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart