Rob Oren's Top 10 Wargames of 2016!

Started by DanVerssen, December 30, 2016, 04:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

You know, what I just don't get is people that are dismissive of what other people like to play. There's a ton of stuff that people post about here that I'm not at all interested in, but my lack of interest doesn't make it "bad." Conversely, I recognize that what I'm interested in might be fairly classified as a "niche of a niche" and there are plenty of people that just will never want to play the games I play.

Fair enough, and isn't that the point? Different people enjoy doing different things? So, when I hear about some blowhard that takes to a platform like Youtube to express his disdain for a type of game that he doesn't enjoy, I really have to wonder WTF is broken in his head. Here's a idea: STFU and go play what you want to play.

People need to learn that just because they can post in forums and make videos that their opinions really aren't of much value, simply because they have one.

All of which is a long way of saying I don't think I'll bother with watching The Dice Tower.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

I watch quite a bit of the Dice Tower, because I like board games in general and I generally like their take on things.  The truth is I often do not agree with their take, but that's part of the experience watching review/let's play videos.  What I do like is seeing a board game out of the box, the components, some quick takes on game play, and general impressions.  I think Dice Tower does a nice job of that plus unlike many others they don't feel the need for vulgar language or derisive commentary. 

I've watched their wargame Top 10s and its exactly what I expected them to be and not heavy hex and counter games.  Sam (one of the contributors) does like some wargames like Combat Commander and I'm pretty sure they all like 1775.  The problem with heavy wargames is they are niche and don't have mass appeal like Ticket to Ride.  That's ok too.  I don't like Marco's reviews sometimes in part because I have a hard time understanding what he's saying, but also I never get the feeling that he's played the game more than once or much past setup.  Anyway, its the beauty of having a choice in what to watch or not to watch.

GJK

I like the HAMTAG videos (not to Judd).  I think that they do a good job and there's a different player in the three of them.  I think Judd likes to play some of the more "groggier" games (that isn't ASL) that covers not just WW2 but all sorts of interesting topics.  Greg likes the "classics" (old AH, etc. *including* ASL) and Bart is more your "light" wargamer that enjoys the CC:A/CC:N, Ambush, Heroes of Normandy, COH, etc. so they cover most every type of game that a wargamer would want to play.

And opinions are like a$$holes...we all know that saying.  I post my jeers and snickers at some of the games mentioned here but I'd hope that after all this time you guys have learned my personality and that I'm just kidding around with you (while still taking a little jab).  Hey, I'm a board wargamer first and if you're playing a board wargame  of any caliber, that's ok with me.  I enjoy some computer wargames as well and will snicker heavily at all the space/race/train/plane games that they talk about in that other forum over there but I guess in the end, we're all "gamers".  Geeks and gamers and grogs. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on January 04, 2017, 06:51:43 AM
And opinions are like a$$holes...we all know that saying.  I post my jeers and snickers at some of the games mentioned here but I'd hope that after all this time you guys have learned my personality and that I'm just kidding around with you (while still taking a little jab).  Hey, I'm a board wargamer first and if you're playing a board wargame  of any caliber, that's ok with me.  I enjoy some computer wargames as well and will snicker heavily at all the space/race/train/plane games that they talk about in that other forum over there but I guess in the end, we're all "gamers".  Geeks and gamers and grogs.

Poking fun in a community of the like minded is just having fun. I can't think of anything you or anyone has said in this forum that's been objectionable or mean-spirited. We give it right back to you about ASL.

I'll say this: I'm much more inclined to pay attention to your list of Top 10 Wargames of 2017 than I am some dude on Youtube that I've never heard of.

Bison

Quote from: panzerde on January 04, 2017, 09:12:08 AM

I'll say this: I'm much more inclined to pay attention to your list of Top 10 Wargames of 2017 than I am some dude on Youtube that I've never heard of.

GJK's list:
1. Yanks!
2. Yanks!
3. Yanks!
4. There are no other games worthy of mentioning. 
5. :P

panzerde

Pretty much what I expected, but at least we'd know that he's sure about it!  ;D

GJK

Quote from: Bison on January 04, 2017, 09:17:16 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 04, 2017, 09:12:08 AM

GJK's list:
1. Yanks!
2. Yanks!
3. Yanks!
4. There are no other games worthy of mentioning. 
5. :P

Lol!  The Yanks reprint is pretty freakin' awesome, I'm not going to lie to you-as was Rising Sun the year before.  Also looking forward to the Festung Budapest reprint and the Red October add-on for Red Barricades.  And correct- nothing else to mention that captured my interests.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

Gary, are you also expecting a reprint of fKaC? That should probably be the next one I get.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on January 04, 2017, 11:28:39 PM
Gary, are you also expecting a reprint of fKaC? That should probably be the next one I get.

I'm trying to recall what the plans were for the reprint of FKaC- they may be adding Hollow Legions to it and toss in other goodies like they did Yanks.  Yeah, playing the Brits is fun (they don't cower!)- you'll definitely want to sign up for a copy when they do announce the reprint.  I want to get into PTO some more as well; I've only played a couple of scenarios of PTO...that's totally different than ETO for sure!  I'm playing another DASL this weekend vs Sam Tyson (of Bounding Fire Productions).  I'll have four hidden fortified building locations holding AT guns in that one to deal with!

But back on topic a bit- I watched this video referenced by the OP and it's not a bad video; it dragged on too long (should drop the "check the chat" every few minutes bit).  And if Tiger Leader gives him childhood Christmas eve like dreams of wonder at night, then more power to him.  Maybe Dan will get that one squared away with a 'fix-it' kit and it'll become what everyone had hoped that it would be.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on January 05, 2017, 06:51:30 AM
And if Tiger Leader gives him childhood Christmas eve like dreams of wonder at night, then more power to him.  Maybe Dan will get that one squared away with a 'fix-it' kit and it'll become what everyone had hoped that it would be.

Having seen and tried the PnP version of the "fix it kit" for Tiger Leader I wasn't impressed still a broken concept of a game.

GJK

Quote from: Barthheart on January 05, 2017, 06:57:41 AM
Quote from: GJK on January 05, 2017, 06:51:30 AM
And if Tiger Leader gives him childhood Christmas eve like dreams of wonder at night, then more power to him.  Maybe Dan will get that one squared away with a 'fix-it' kit and it'll become what everyone had hoped that it would be.

Having seen and tried the PnP version of the "fix it kit" for Tiger Leader I wasn't impressed still a broken concept of a game.

That's a bummer.  I'll stick with the "Guderian's Best" third party add-on for "Patton's Best" then.  It's very well done and I've been meaning to modify the PB VASSAL module to add it (and the other 'mods')- maybe soon.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Cyrano

As disreputable as DVG's follow-up to the TL traveshamockery has been, the one thing I did not hold to the game's account was its association with "Patton's Best".  I don't know as the author was ever inclined to "remake" that far better game, but people -- frankly including myself -- assumed he was.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

That might be part of the problem but it certainly was never the intension to be a remake or to fool people into believing that.
All of the early info pointed to a sort of platoon/company commander type thing like the air Leader games are Flight/Wing commander scale.

But, IMHO, it just failed outright to have the proper feel and hence fun/interest of that type of game.

DennisS

Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2017, 11:45:27 AM
That might be part of the problem but it certainly was never the intension to be a remake or to fool people into believing that.
All of the early info pointed to a sort of platoon/company commander type thing like the air Leader games are Flight/Wing commander scale.

But, IMHO, it just failed outright to have the proper feel and hence fun/interest of that type of game.

What DVG does well, it does better than anyone. T/A Leader IS one of the best games ever made. Tiger Leader is just garbage..bad design, and worse execution. I will continue to purchase every flight leader game that comes along, including the new Israeli iteration..but until T/L gets a major overhaul, it's a no go for me.