Rob Oren's Top 10 Wargames of 2016!

Started by DanVerssen, December 30, 2016, 04:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanVerssen

Cyrano

His endorsement of TL in its current state is rubbish on its face.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on December 31, 2016, 12:33:45 AM
His endorsement of TL in its current state is rubbish on its face.

TL?

I actually watched one of his Top 10s yesterday.. or skipped through some of it anyway.  Don't recall what that stands for, though.

Cyrano

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MikeGER

i save you guys 45 min of your life for better things then watching those rants  here is the list quoted from  comments:

10. Enemy Action: Ardennes - Compass Games
9. Tiger Leader - DVG
8. Gato Leader - DVG
7. MBT - GMT
6. Last Blitzkrieg - Multi-Man Publishing
5. Operation Dauntless - GMT
4. Escape from Colditz - Osprey Games
3. Mare Nostrum: Empires - Academy Games
2. Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal, The Pacific 1942 - Academy Games
1. Warfighter - DVG

Crossroads

Congrats to DVG for having three entries in the Top 10 listing!  O0

I never tried any of these card driven games myself. I've had rotten luck so far trying to engage my kids in their late teens to wargaming. Yes, we've enjoyed a few nice game of Risk over the summer holidays at our cabin where they can't escape me, but that's about it.

They are all for latest and greatest FPS computer games, COD and all that. So I got curious about Warfighter? Is that an easy game to get into, anyone here tried it out yet?

I am thinking about the modern Tactical Special Ops version especially that came out a couple of years ago, that might get their interest better than the WW2 stuff. There's a copy available at the second hand market, for a decent price, something to try out perhaps?

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

DennisS

Quote from: MikeGER on December 31, 2016, 03:04:50 AM
i save you guys 45 min of your life for better things then watching those rants  here is the list quoted from  comments:

9. Tiger Leader - DVG
8. Gato Leader - DVG
7. MBT - GMT
1. Warfighter - DVG

Someone type up me a lost of top ten IN PRINT solo wargames.  :idiot2:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Who is this guy?  Does he work in the industry or is he just some guy with a YouTube channel and a bad mic?

I watched this video and his top 10 miniatures games for 2016.  He's got some really odd ranking criteria and rationale.  While I may have agreed with him on some of the selections on his lists, I can't say I agreed with him on any of his reasoning.

bbmike

Quote from: DennisS on January 01, 2017, 10:14:30 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on December 31, 2016, 03:04:50 AM

9. Tiger Leader - DVG
8. Gato Leader - DVG
7. MBT - GMT
1. Warfighter - DVG

Someone type up me a lost of top ten IN PRINT solo wargames.  :idiot2:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/212416/top-10-solo-games-2016
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 01, 2017, 11:17:06 AM
Who is this guy?  Does he work in the industry or is he just some guy with a YouTube channel and a bad mic?

I watched this video and his top 10 miniatures games for 2016.  He's got some really odd ranking criteria and rationale.  While I may have agreed with him on some of the selections on his lists, I can't say I agreed with him on any of his reasoning.

He makes videos with/for The Dice Tower.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw that he's affiliated with them somehow (along with some guy calling himself the chief) but I never see him with the main 3 guys.  Anyway, Dice Tower doesn't seem too big on wargames/wargamers in general.  I watched the Dice Tower Top 10 wargames video. Tom Vassal started off with a diatribe against the grog community (only time I've ever seen him go off like that against a section of the gaming community) and then he and his two cohorts proceeded to list off 30 games that were about as far from a wargame as you could get.

Bison

The Chief and crew actually do some nice wargame reviews.  They used to produce content for dice tower and now have their own YouTube channel.

Nefaro

Rob's a nice guy. 

His gaming tastes aren't really the same as the Dice Tower regulars (Vasel and co.).  I don't recall seeing much of his stuff on Dice Tower, other than some minis painting he did.

Unlike some, I don't fault him for not being a hardcore hex-grog.  He still tends to show off games that I enjoy.

I'm rarely surprised when hex-grogs get a bad reputation for being elitist jerks to others.  It's likely a vocal minority of bad apples in the group, but the damage has been done regularly enough for the reputation to stick.  Unfortunately, I think such attitude turns some potential new players away from exploring the genre further.

ArizonaTank

We have so many new games these days, I don't see how any one person could possibly review them all, while giving each plenty of playtime...unless he is independently wealthy and does nothing else but play war games.

My biggest issue with this list (and lists like it) is that I can't help but feeling this is just the top 10 of the 20 new games he actually played this year.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Cyrano

Unless you're Marco, I suppose...

You're right, though, AT.  Grog games aren't learned in a single play-through.  Heck, I've had at NLB more than a dozen times and am still surprised, particularly in the hands of a new player.  The real bear, of course, is that you can reset a monster game of Civ6 with a few mouse clicks.  Doing the same thing with "Empires in Arms" takes a good deal more work -- if you've got friends sufficiently tolerant of the effort.

And the Dice Tower's relationship with war games is, at best, interesting.  Tom doesn't like groggy games and says so.  That's fine.  I very much appreciate the love he gives to cross-over games like the C&C system.  His dismissal, even outright frustration, with heavier games, though, should always be taken as one man's opinion.

Dan obviously posted the list because it said things he liked.  No foul there, to be sure.  The review of TL, though, won't stand scrutiny.  He even mentions the upcoming SL, but doesn't mention that one of the "perks" "thrown in" is the kit to fix everything that's broken in TL.