Thoughts on L'nL Nations at War / World at War series?

Started by Crossroads, September 03, 2016, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on September 23, 2016, 02:41:54 PM
Hello,

No , Battles within Battles does not come with a complete rule set it is an expansion.  The latest rule set is not available yet and will be a free download.  There will also be a printed edition you can purchase as well.  The full rule book will also be included in the new games.

David

Gotcha, thanks! Looking forward towards the new editions as well  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Tinkershuffle

The new map art looks impressive, well done. :) Is the Strike Force Africa based on historical battles between South African Forces and FAPLA?

Crossroads

White Star Rising: Airborne - Dancing at Dawn (Noville, 20 Dec 1944)

Quote from: Crossroads on September 19, 2016, 01:28:50 AM
Ordered the WSR: Airborne 2nd Ed from LnL store, looks like a set of uber kool scenarios, and with new version map boards as well  :smitten:

Finished a session today vs von Tinkershuffle's Panzer Armee on White Star Rising: Airborne 2d ed.

The scenario we played was Dancing at Dawn, depicting the 2d Pz Div's attack on on Noville on 20th Dec 1944.

I played the mercans, with elements of the 507th PIR set up in the woods outside Neville, and elements of CCA set up on Neville itself. Each unit had one formation chit for their impulse. In addition to these units I had two Arty HE missions, 2 IPs and 2 Fate Points.

Von Tinkershuffle commanded two formations as well, KG Beck setup on hills outside the forested patch, and 107th Bn set up on forest outside road to Neville. KG Beck needed to be setup outside LOS to any US unit. Both formations with one formation chit, so we were even steven with chit draws. In addition he had three Arty HE missions and three Fate Points so a small advantage there.

Fate Points were new to me, with one FP you could buy for instance one re-roll of die or +1 added to one die, or with 2 FP for instance you can opt to remove one Op Completed, for the same unit perform twice within one activation. Small things, but were fun to use. I used my two FP when I did the Arty missions, for a little extra effect, while Tinkershuffle chose to use 2FP for one of his Infantry platoon first move then assault my positions within one activation. The remaining point he used to improve his die roll on one of his attacks.

[spoiler=Opening Turn][/spoiler]

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

The victory conditions dictated Germans had to occupy all city hexes on board C (where the action was), for a Decisive Win, all other results would be US victories.

As seen in the above screenshot, I set up accordingly, trying to have plenty of troops outside enemy LOS, as German armor with two MkIV platoons, a PzV platoon and a StuG platoon had a decisive edge over my Sherman 75mm and Easy Eight 76mm platoons. Yet, I had the Easy Eights at town edge, enjoying the TEM +2 for action against the advancing enemy armor.

They held magnificently, for a while, I believe they managed to cause a step loss on one MkIV platoon and destroying the StuG platoon, before they were wiped out. I had the Easy Eight stacked with the HQ for the extra effect.   

Soon, things heated up though. 107th Bn was quick on their approach to Noville, first clearing the woods next to it, where I had some of the CCA infantry positioned. At the same time, the leading KG Beck was advancing on my Paras, meeting with my forward Platoon who had a HMG assigned to them.

[spoiler=107th on attack][/spoiler]

Crossroads

By turn six, I had lost, regained, and lost again the outer skirt of Neville, and the Germans were decisively entering the town. I used my two Arty HE missions on 107th Bns fist wave, buying some time, so it was not until turn six the second wave by KG Beck was giving the US troops griefs. CCA had fought valiantly, yielding ground little by little, and now the Paras were joining in, retreating from their forward positions in the woods to town proper.

I had now lost my two Sherman platoons, but had a M18 platoon entering. As all I needed was to hold to some city hexes, I positioned it in a shoot-and-scoot position behind the last city hex on the map. It was starting to look good at this stage, my troops had weathered the three German Arty missions within Noville quite well, with some lucky dice. Funny enough, only my Paras had Bazookas given to them, so I was glad to see them now reinforcing Noville at this stage. 

I had one of my IPs in the Noville center, manned by a 57mm ATG and a CCA Mech Infantry platoon. Proved to be quite a touch nut to crack as it proved out, they were finally retreated out of the hex on turn 7 after sone determined German Tanks direct firing and Infantry assaulting it.

[spoiler=CCA stands tall][/spoiler]

Crossroads

And so it ended. We called it a day after turn 7, with one turn remaining. It was now obvious Germans had run out of time to reach all hexes, and given the 507th PIR now joining CCA in defence, they called a retreat.

Really enjoyed the scenario, was very tough for both sides. Germans had to cross open country to get close and personal, while US troops just needed to stay the course. This one went for the Good Guys, helped by my cautious tactics and lucky chit pulls and die rolls. I would have given my left arm (it's only a game right) for one more Artillery mission, but as it turned out just lasted without one. Artillery hits the barrage hex and the six adjacent hexes, and it is especially nasty if caught in the open as Germans did.

As for the WSR: Airborne (2d Ed) module, for 29.99 there was a sturdy manual printed on thick glossy paper in color, and three map sheets with winter terrain on one side and summer terrain on other side. Original WSR had thick mounted maps, so these were different, but did the job very well.

Having played the World at War series first, with mid 1980s weapon systems, this game was refreshingly different albeit most rules were same for easy access. It took a while to get used to Bazookas though, with their 1 hex range. Quite a step down from Milans and Dragons!  ;)

[spoiler=Nuts!][/spoiler]

Thanks to Tinkershuffle for the fun game! And for letting me win, for once.

Next time we'll likely take the Putin Strikes board game out for a ride.   :smitten:

Tinkershuffle

Whoa, your AAR was ready almost before we managed to get the game back in the box, well done and well played! 

Crossroads

The remaining World at War titles are on sale at LnL store, with some nice discounts. Unfortunately, the add-ons are designed in such manner it is next to impossible to use any of them unless one owns almost all the base games.

As such I will give them a pass I think. I continue to keep an eye on second hand Untold Stories box, but seems there aren't any out there, and the one or two that are have ridiculous pricing.

On the positive, the new World at War´85 titles are now mentioned in the store as being In The Works. Will be nice to see them coming out.  :bd:

Crossroads

Nations at War titles have been introduced as well, including a Bulge game Tigers in the Snow. Stalingrad as well. White Star Rising 2d Ed already available for pre-order with 15% off. Looking promising !!   

WSR: Operation COBRA (1st Ed stuff) is half price at USD12.99  :smitten:

D@mn USPS international rates though, add USD 22.50 for a zip lock letter. Hmm, have to think about that.  >:( 

Hey LnL folks reading this forum, please look for alternative couriers, Noble Knights Games for instance has quite a few to choose from! Many of us folks abroad would happily trade speed for reduced shipping costs....

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on December 30, 2016, 12:01:52 PM

D@mn USPS international rates though, add USD 22.50 for a zip lock letter. Hmm, have to think about that.  >:( 

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. With Canucks, Free French and Poles available to the series, went for it. Happy New Year me!   :hug:

Thrawn

Hello,

We are actively working on our international shipping and we will have something in place for our Euro customers.

David

Quote from: Crossroads on December 30, 2016, 12:01:52 PM
Nations at War titles have been introduced as well, including a Bulge game Tigers in the Snow. Stalingrad as well. White Star Rising 2d Ed already available for pre-order with 15% off. Looking promising !!   

Hey LnL folks reading this forum, please look for alternative couriers, Noble Knights Games for instance has quite a few to choose from! Many of us folks abroad would happily trade speed for reduced shipping costs....

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on January 02, 2017, 01:05:23 AM
Hello,

We are actively working on our international shipping and we will have something in place for our Euro customers.

David

Cheers David! I do not mind the boxed game shipping cost USPS quotes at $22.50 - $24.50 as I've often seen, I consider that fair given the parcels sent over the pond and all that. It is rather the ziplock games that suffer for a lack of a cheaper option.

Email sent!