Thoughts on L'nL Nations at War / World at War series?

Started by Crossroads, September 03, 2016, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

A fool for platoon sized tactical series, and with little time to play overly complicated titles (don't want them to be too easy either  :uglystupid2: ), what are you guys thinking about these series?

At first look, it would be an extra bonus both series are basically (or they seem to be) on a same rule set, albeit with tweaks to eras covered. I quite like my WW II titles as well as my Cold War Gone Hot titles, so these look really appealing.

I've just skimmed the WSR living rules book, and it looks these are fast playing games too, which is nice too. I like my games to be able to be finished in a long afternoon, if possible.

So what say you? The Good, the Bad, the Ugly?

Edit Nations at War is the series title, White Star Rising the module

:)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bayonetbrant

Both are good fun games that play quickly. I think the series does a better job of modeling the command-and-control differences of Western vs Eastern units in the World at War series than the Nations at War series.

Some folks like the larger World War 2 counters better also

There's the age-old complaint of the poor typeface choice for the World at War series. While I think font is evocative of the 80s, for the size of the counters, it is difficult to read.

There are far more options to play in the World War 3 Series since there were more expansions made for that one. Just watch out for the Swedish module, as the Swedes can apparently take on the entire Warsaw Pact with a mere battalion of super Vikings and not even break a sweat.

Fun games that play fast.  Not a perfect realistic model  of modern combat, but close. And certainly close enough for an afternoon of boardgaming
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

One note - the is a lot, a LOT, of die rolling. You roll a ton to hit, then roll some more to save, for every unit in every attack. No CRT, just lots and lots of dice. Plan to have at least 12d6 on hand when you play.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2016, 10:21:03 AM
Fun games that play fast.  Not a perfect realistic model  of modern combat, but close. And certainly close enough for an afternoon of boardgaming

+1 Fun games that are easy to learn and play.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on September 03, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2016, 10:21:03 AM

+1 Fun games that are easy to learn and play.

Thanks, I think I will try them both then. As for dice, something like this perhaps as an app:

http://www.virtualdiceroll.com/6/en/six-dice

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

I like the system as well. Fan and fun and not too many rules to remember.
I like the bucket of dice combat too. I find it faster than looking up results on a CRT.
Don't think you need an app for that. Just 4-6 D6 will do the trick.
The chit pull activation makes it very solo friendly as well.

Imagre with Brant that the system works better in the WWIII setting but is stil a lot of fun for WWII platoon level gaming.

Some good VASSAL modules out there for both systems as well.  ;)

Crossroads

Both Nations at War and World at War seem to be going into their 2nd Ed versions. While the original counters look really nice I must say the new 2nd Ed maps are way superior.

They seem to indicate the new maps are (to become?) available as a separate purchase so that is a must.

Seems NaW White Star Rising and WaW Untold Stories are both on pre-order only so I assume I can safely get into second-hand market as well and get those maps later ?

HERE'S the LnL article on upgrade kits. The new game titles will be awesome though.

Crossroads

Found the games at 20 euros WSR and 29 bucks Blood and Bridges from BGG so I'll give them a spin. If I don't like them at that price I can always sell them on  :smitten:

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Crossroads

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 03, 2016, 09:54:04 PM
Found the games at 20 euros WSR and 29 bucks Blood and Bridges from BGG so I'll give them a spin. If I don't like them at that price I can always sell them on  :smitten:

A parcel with WSR inside it arrived today. That's a lot of game for one twenty note!  :smitten:

It was a German edition, but alas, the 2.0 living rules are available as a download, and the chaos table and terrain effect charts were available as a picture at BGG.

Although, playing a WW2 game with player aid charts in German is definitively a bonus. Not to mention the scenario introductions. Panzer Marsch!  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Yes, that's an unpunched game. A belgian gentleman had gone to an expo and got out with two of them  :smitten:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 10:30:27 AM
Yes, that's an unpunched game. A belgian gentleman had gone to an expo and got out with two of them  :smitten:

Unpunched no more   O:-)

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 10:29:35 AM

It was a German edition, but alas, the 2.0 living rules are available as a download, and the chaos table and terrain effect charts were available as a picture at BGG.

Although, playing a WW2 game with player aid charts in German is definitively a bonus. Not to mention the scenario introductions. Panzer Marsch!  :knuppel2:

Alas, if a kind sould who has this game could scan and email me the scenario pages from an English WSR manual that would be greatly appreciated. I can manage auf Deutsch as well, but just barely  :buck2:

Edit: sorted, thank you!

Crossroads

Ordered the WSR: Airborne 2nd Ed from LnL store, looks like a set of uber kool scenarios, and with new version map boards as well  :smitten: