COIN in Vietnam: Fire In The Lake

Started by Nefaro, August 11, 2014, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I'm sure at least one of you die hards pre-ordered this.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144189/fire-lake

I've not played a COIN series game yet.  Been waffling about it.  But I think I'll get this one.  The subject looks like it would fit the concept well.  Seems to be shipping soon.

Ubercat

GREAT game. I saw a copy at WBC and said "Man, I wish my copy had arrived before I got here. I really wanted to play it here. The GMT guy pulled out a preorder list, saw my name, lined it out, handed me the box and said "Here you go."

I got in a 4 player game shortly there after. It's even better than Andean Abyss.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Cyrano

Got em all and this one ordered.

They're each good games, but they come with pre-plotted biases/assumptions.

It's most evident in CL where Castro comes off as a pretty good guy.  Whatever on's personal take on the matter, this came to me as a surprise, but didn't prevent it from being the best in the series.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ArizonaTank

Yes, pre-ordered.  Waiting for GMT to ship.  Taking them forever....:(
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 12, 2014, 05:03:46 AM
Yes, pre-ordered.  Waiting for GMT to ship.  Taking them forever....:(

still waiting....

Grumble...grumble.....grumble....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Ubercat

If you're THAT impatient, you must be eager to play! I can probably get at least 1 other person I met at WBC involved in a Vassal game. That's 3 and we'd just want a 4th. If playing live is too hard to arrange, we could play via logfiles and Email for diplomacy.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

I don't expect to see it for another week at least. 

Sounds like they had thousands of copies to ship.

Ubercat

Roberto already said yes. If you both are in too, that's our 4. In the meantime, here's the living rules from GMT, so you can read up. If you've played any other COIN game, you're already 90% there. If you haven't, I'm happy to help out with concepts, etc.

The game now reads as "shipping", not "charging"!

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

I still have a large stack of game manuals to read from the past few months.  That's why I've not been shaking with anticipation of it showing up on the doorstep.  Swamped!

I just decided to purchase it while still at the pre-order price, even though I won't read up on it for some time.  That and the ever present possibility that the original print run will go out of stock.

Ubercat

Quote from: Nefaro on August 18, 2014, 10:28:09 PM
I still have a large stack of game manuals to read from the past few months.  That's why I've not been shaking with anticipation of it showing up on the doorstep.  Swamped!

I just decided to purchase it while still at the pre-order price, even though I won't read up on it for some time.  That and the ever present possibility that the original print run will go out of stock.

OK Doke. Out of curiosity, are those multiplayer board games manuals? Or just more PC games? Having started doing a lot of games against real live people in the last year or three, I've realized that AI opponents don't even come close to providing the same level of fun and challenge. [cough]Jarhead![/cough]

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Quote from: Ubercat on August 18, 2014, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 18, 2014, 10:28:09 PM

OK Doke. Out of curiosity, are those multiplayer board games manuals? Or just more PC games? Having started doing a lot of games against real live people in the last year or three, I've realized that AI opponents don't even come close to providing the same level of fun and challenge. [cough]Jarhead![/cough]

Both.   Although most of the PC games are just stuff I've had for months and not played yet, or played little.  Haven't purchased many recently.

As for boardgames, I've picked up quite a few and have more on the way.  That's the reading I was referring to.

Cyrano

Just got my shipping notice.

Expected on Monday!!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

My brother just ordered a copy of this.  I believe that it was his first boardgame purchase in 20+ years.  I'm anxious to get a game of it going with him once he receives his copy.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Ubercat on August 18, 2014, 06:54:44 PM
Roberto already said yes. If you both are in too, that's our 4. In the meantime, here's the living rules from GMT, so you can read up. If you've played any other COIN game, you're already 90% there. If you haven't, I'm happy to help out with concepts, etc.

The game now reads as "shipping", not "charging"!

I'm interested in vassal game.  Real-time or PBEM? 

BTW, finally got my ship notice.  Should be on my doorstep Friday.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Ubercat

PBEM with Dropbox for posting logfiles. That's 3 of us, then. I have 2 more interested from BGG and told them basically to figure out who wants it more. I would have just said the first one to post was in, but he was ready to step aside for anyone else so I didn't feel qualified to make the call.

- Thomas Sowell