Just delivered ....

Started by PanzersEast, August 15, 2015, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Nefaro

Yay!

I've been curious about Albion's Legacy but after watching part of a dev preview and playthrough, I was solidly on the fence.  Something about the content or game mechanics made me put it low on the list, although I can't point to exactly what.

Gonna have my Mistfall KS stuff, with campaign add-on, showing up in the next couple weeks.  Along with that Eldritch Horror expansion, Legendary Encounters: Predator, and the Star Wars Force & Destiny RPG core book.  Between those and my new GMT stuff, I'm out of the game purchasing schedule for a bit.

I'm really curious about LE Predator's new competitive game mode.  While I'll definitely be starting off with the usual LE cooperative experience, I'm also looking forward to playing the extra competitive ruleset where each player is a Predator competing to take (aka kill) the biggest trophies & each other.  8)

bayonetbrant

We featured it in GARPA last year, and saw them playing it at Origins

http://grogheads.com/?p=4738
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2015, 06:57:21 PM
Yay!

I've been curious about Albion's Legacy but after watching part of a dev preview and playthrough, I was solidly on the fence.  Something about the content or game mechanics made me put it low on the list, although I can't point to exactly what.

Gonna have my Mistfall KS stuff, with campaign add-on, showing up in the next couple weeks.  Along with that Eldritch Horror expansion, Legendary Encounters: Predator, and the Star Wars Force & Destiny RPG core book.  Between those and my new GMT stuff, I'm out of the game purchasing schedule for a bit.

I'm really curious about LE Predator's new competitive game mode.  While I'll definitely be starting off with the usual LE cooperative experience, I'm also looking forward to playing the extra competitive ruleset where each player is a Predator competing to take (aka kill) the biggest trophies & each other.  8)

I would be curoius to hear about Mistfall, I did not jump in on the KS as I thought the artwork was nice... but just thought it another meh card adventure game.  I maybe wrong..... however, after reading some feedback I have preordered LE Predator as it went from a wait and see to a must own!

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on August 15, 2015, 08:37:55 PM

I would be curoius to hear about Mistfall, I did not jump in on the KS as I thought the artwork was nice... but just thought it another meh card adventure game.  I maybe wrong..... however, after reading some feedback I have preordered LE Predator as it went from a wait and see to a must own!

PE

Something about the way the card mechanics work in Mistfall convinced me, after watching a preview vid.  It kinda reminded me of the way cards are used in Middle Earth Quest but with more depth, variety, etc for solitaire/co-op.  The range of unique player powers, and the possible options on how to combo with what's available at any moment, sold me.  Not so much the artwork although it does look good.

Nefaro

Received Mistfall and it's Valskyrr Campaign Expansion this afternoon. 

There's a lot to learn with the rules, iconography, and turn structure.  I can tell the first game will be slow going while I learn it all.  Will post shots once I get knee deep.

Thankfully Ricky Royal has been doing a YT playthrough so that'll get further use to shore up any fuzzy spots.  My rules comprehension is usually pretty good but I don't want to forget bits in games like this with such heavy turn structures.

I still expect to hear impressions on your first Albion's Legacy game too.   C:-)

Staggerwing

I keep clicking on this thread with each reply but there's still no pizza...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 26, 2015, 07:29:19 PM
I keep clicking on this thread with each reply but there's still no pizza...  :(

Maybe it was DiGiorno?

PanzersEast

Hey guys, got Albion Legacy to the table for a couple of quick run throughs and here are some thoughts before I gear up for a run through....

1.  The main board appears to be smaller than intended, while it is not a huge hindrance it appears that it should be larger than is.
1a. The rulebook is bad... although they have released a new version in pdf format which is better.
2.  The game has a lot of theme to it, and it feels very good
3.  There are several scenarios with the game and a lot of tiles.  Each game will turn out differently for sure.
4.  I have to look again, but the starting gear and the obtainable gear appears to be little difference.
5.  You will need some table space as you explore as  it can branch out in several directions.
6.  The game is random, but there is strategy you will need to work out with your characters in addressing the quest and adversaries that pop up.

Overall I believe I am happy with my purchase but will give you a full run through soon.

Arctic Blast

I found a game store in Quebec that still had copies of Flick Em Up in stock. Got it to the table this weekend, and MAN is it fun! Think dexterity game with a wild west setting. Perfect game to play while having a few beers and talking some smack.

Nefaro

I only own one somewhat dexterity-based game.  That being Dungeon Fighter.  It really only has you rolling dice in various odd ways, trying to land them onto the sweet spots of a circular target.  But it was enjoyed for the goofy die-rolling feats the first time it came out.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 30, 2015, 10:57:40 PM
I only own one somewhat dexterity-based game.  That being Dungeon Fighter.  It really only has you rolling dice in various odd ways, trying to land them onto the sweet spots of a circular target.  But it was enjoyed for the goofy die-rolling feats the first time it came out.

I've played that. Also a great fit for the 'great with some beers' category.  ;D