Hummingbirds Gone

Started by solops, September 23, 2019, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

All of my hummingbirds disappeared about a week ago, gone back to Central or South America I guess. Do any of you who feed birds still have any hummers?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Nope. Just an annoying woodpecker who keeps chewing up the cedar siding on the west side of my house. I want to kill the bastard, but they are actually protected around here.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

Your hummingbirds are down South hanging out with me.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2019, 04:26:09 AM
Nope. Just an annoying woodpecker who keeps chewing up the cedar siding on the west side of my house. I want to kill the bastard, but they are actually protected around here.

Hang something shiny along the siding that will move in the breeze, mobile-like. Strips of aluminum foil, broken CDs, pieces of mirror, etc. Supposedly woodpeckers will be annoyed enough to relocate.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Hmm haven't noticed - my daughters love hummingbirds. Have to check now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 24, 2019, 05:46:38 AM

Hang something shiny along the siding that will move in the breeze, mobile-like. Strips of aluminum foil, broken CDs, pieces of mirror, etc. Supposedly woodpeckers will be annoyed enough to relocate.

I tried CDs. Didn't work and it pissed the wife off more than the stupid bird.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

The Hummers show-up here, south Fla, about the middle of Sept. every year and sure enough they were right on schedule this year. They hang around until March then disappear. I never see any in the summer though I know others here say they have them. The Hummers here now are the Ruby-Throated variety but soon I'll have a second group that are a little bigger and a emerald green color on their wings and back. Every year I plan on getting some pics of them but, damn are they hard to catch. One of the reasons I love Fall.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^Now that you mention it I just saw a video on YouTube that showed a guy holding a small pollinated plant petal, getting a hummingbird to calm down and rest in his palm. Pretty awesome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Small pollinated plant petal", that's what you're calling it now?  :hide:  Still, better than, 'Little Gus' I suppose.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I actually had the same problem a few years back.  I seriously was considering purchasing an air rifle to silently kill and dispose of the pest.  My state also has a law protecting woodpeckers so if I got caught that would not be good. 

What I ended up doing was replacing all of the wood trim around my roofline with PVC.  Woodpeckers don't like the taste and haven't pecked my house since.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

airboy

Your solution is a sub-sonic air rifle.