Memory Lane of GI Joe's, or "What's in Mom's Basement"

Started by bayonetbrant, June 10, 2014, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2014, 07:33:02 PM
I also had a ton of GI Joes like Brant and Toonces and my Mom also threw them all away :( I still have the comics at least. If I still had the figures today they'd be worth 100s!

Brant's pics brought back a lot of memories for me too.  I recall first getting 'Zap' when they were originally released, back when there were only a handful of different ones available without all the extra fancy arm-twisting motion. 

And going to many stores trying to find the white ninja dude after he had been released (what was him name?).  They had all been sold out except for one place where the guy found one left "in the back".  Because it was the 80s.. and ninjas were in.  Yep, I was a child addict for a time.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

let me tell ya about my 2 year career which started when I was 15 at Kay-bee toys......

I'm pretty sure the statue of limitations is up by now.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

80s Storm Shadow was second in kewlness to Snake Eyes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

original Snake Eyes, not the overly-tricked-out cargo-pockets-everywhere Snake Eyes they re-released years later
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 10, 2014, 02:44:35 PM
Mom had me go thru 2 boxes of old GI Joe stuff to sort out what's mine and what's my brother's, so they could take his stuff to him tonight for his kids to have to play with.

Here's what was in there, not counting several plastic bags of backpacks, weapons, accessories, etc.

Oh, and apparently there's another box in the basement somewhere, because we're missing a bunch of stuff that I know we had.

When I look at the  figures on the bottom row of each box, I can hear "It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A".
No wonder the generation that played with these GI Joes are so screwed up.  Back in MY day, GI Joe was 12 g-ddamm inches, and he DID NOT wear some tucked-in Hawaiian shirt, pink camoflage, black tank-top or sport a Snidley Whiplash 'stache.  I bet if you turned those figures around, they'd have an assortment colored handkerchiefs in the back pockets.

Star will get that joke...

Damn straight....

Jack Freakin' Nastyface.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GDS_Starfury

we had over 500 feet of slot car track.
and we were playing Car Wars at the time.  for some combat we replaced dice with that.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bardolph

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 12, 2014, 07:00:53 AM
I can't remember what happened to mine...it might have been thrown away as pieces were lost slowly over time and we moved to a new house back in '83 or so. Same story with my Star Wars Death Star Playset...I got that when I was eight years old. My grandmother had found one in San Antonio and put it on a bus (of all things) to send it to us in Virginia. If I'd known then how valuable those things would be today...

I remember very well the Sears catalogs...they were pretty much colorized Christmas lists. I'd go through and circle everything I wanted...which I was instructed to do. :) Of course I'd only get a fraction of the literally dozens of things I'd request, but I didn't care...it was all cool, regardless, no matter what they ended up getting.

I just thought of this thing...I got this for Christmas in fifth grade, I think...the Battleground WWII playset. Anyone else have it?

I had that set, still have 2 of the sandbag emplacements. Had forgotten what the box looked like, thanks for posting that.

Jack Nastyface

I still have this set in my parent's basement.  Probably still worth $9.99...

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bardolph

Those are typical eBay speculators, they rarely ever sell anything at those prices. Check the "completed listings" to see what stuff is actually selling for.

Con

I killed many of my sisters toy dolls plus terrorized the neighbours cats with this

The ricochet racers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bardolph on August 18, 2014, 10:49:00 PM
Those are typical eBay speculators, they rarely ever sell anything at those prices. Check the "completed listings" to see what stuff is actually selling for.

This.

I saw a copy of the game Tokyo Express on "sale" on Amazon by an independent seller for over 300 dollars. I checked BGG and it was more like $80-100. BGG is a good resource for old games too, to see who's selling what or looking to trade.

Bardolph

Sadly the speculator types have been making their way to BGG as well. I've seen some pretty... um... optimistic pricing on there as well lately.  Fortunately BGG has a very useful "price history" tool to check what stuff is actually going for as well.

There is also this website for board game prices:
http://www.spielboy.com/GeekPrices.php#

but I like the new BGG version better.

em2nought

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on August 18, 2014, 05:16:13 PM
I still have this set in my parent's basement.  Probably still worth $9.99...

That was a mother's dream toy set, includes the box to put it away when done.  Think mine went to a garage sale for a couple bucks.  There was definitely an Iwo Jima set with Navarone, Japs, and Marines, my nephew had one.
Stolen elections have consequences.