Memory Lane of GI Joe's, or "What's in Mom's Basement"

Started by bayonetbrant, June 10, 2014, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Mom had me go thru 2 boxes of old GI Joe stuff to sort out what's mine and what's my brother's, so they could take his stuff to him tonight for his kids to have to play with.

Here's what was in there, not counting several plastic bags of backpacks, weapons, accessories, etc.

Oh, and apparently there's another box in the basement somewhere, because we're missing a bunch of stuff that I know we had.

click to really enlarge

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Good stuff I bet that brought back alot of fun memories.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

I have no doubt that I could've set that box on a table at Origins with a sign that said "$350, as is" and it would've been gone by lunch on Thursday.

But then the kids don't get to play with the same toys we used to play with 30 years ago... :-\
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

When I think of all the hours I spent with a few boxes of Airfix 1/72 WW2 figures and some home-made terrain - make the rules-up-as-you-go-along........

Landing craft made out of matchboxes.......

Stones and twigs out of the garden............mum's dark green tablecloth........

<chortle>

'Clip those corners'

Ubercat

Wow, and you guys didn't both choke to death on all the plastic bits, just before getting kidnapped because you were playing outside without a parent watching you?

Very lucky you were.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

Bob - the "missing" box has a few thousand matchbox and ESCI figures it in.  One of these boxes had the old green Army blanket with the 'bunker holes' cut out of it that we used to use as terrain (with some well-placed books underneath for contours)

eyebiter

bob48

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 10, 2014, 03:37:30 PM
Bob - the "missing" box has a few thousand matchbox and ESCI figures it in.  One of these boxes had the old green Army blanket with the 'bunker holes' cut out of it that we used to use as terrain (with some well-placed books underneath for contours)

You're making me get all misty-eyed now.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

Quote from: eyebiter on June 10, 2014, 03:38:27 PM
Depending on condition you could buy a good weekend in Vegas with all those matchbox cars.

Not cars, 1/72 scale toy soldiers from Matchbox, made back in the 1980s.

Steelgrave

Pshaw.....kids, this is a GI Joe:

My favorite toy as a kid. God, I wanted the GI Joe in a Mercury capsule soooo bad, but my footlocker was full of gear so I was hardly deprived. Awesome toy. Screw that Cobra stuff....my GI Joe was still fighting Nazi's!!!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 10, 2014, 05:34:27 PMmy GI Joe was still fighting Nazi's!!!

Dude, that is so awesome!  I wish my GI Joe's could've told the future when I was a kid!

Staggerwing

My GI Joes were also the big ones. I remember the transition from regular hard plastic hands (one of them with 'trigger finger') to the 'Kung Fu Grip' softer kind that could hold more stuff. With the old hands the rifles and pistols would pop out inconveniently but with Kung fu Grip Joe was always ready for anything.

BTW, did anyone else have the plastic attache case with trigger handle and the luger inside?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 10, 2014, 05:40:38 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 10, 2014, 05:34:27 PMmy GI Joe was still fighting Nazi's!!!

Dude, that is so awesome!  I wish my GI Joe's could've told the future when I was a kid!

I saw what you did there......smartass.

Toonces

That's really cool, Brant.

A couple of days ago one of the guys in my office brought in his AD&D 2nd Edition Monster's Manual.  Man alive did that bring back some memories!  I had the red box basic set, blue expert set, and wasn't there a turquoise set above expert? and all of the AD&D 1st edition stuff back when I was about 12.  I think when I went to college my mom threw the whole smack out.   :(  I also had this killer dual set 1/32 scale F-4E and MiG-21 plastic models that probably retails for over $100 now that went into the trash as well.   :(

And...I remember this cool plastic Iwo Jima Mount Suribachi with an elevator, big artillery gun, and all sorts of stuff along with green and tan army men.  Now that was living!  I think that died while I was still a young guy because I can't remember seeing that after about 12 or 13. 

Great stuff man!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs