WarPlan -- new game announced from Matrix Games

Started by al_infierno, May 08, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2841/Take.WWII.into.your.hands.and.create.your.best.WarPlan!

This looks very promising -- like a nice bridge to the gap between Gary Grigsby and Strategic Command games.  Beta signups are open!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

IronX

W8taminute

I'm definitely interested.  Looks like the map only covers the European theatre?  No Pacific/Asia campaign then.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

The dev commented in the form when asked about that and replied they wanted to shake out the concept  before going the whole world war route.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Steelgrave

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Hofstadter

Hopefully they can distinguish themselves, it looks super bland.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Hofstadter on May 12, 2019, 07:52:47 AM

This is a hilarious comment to me because I can't tell any of these games apart! :D

They all look awful, it's probably the main reason I haven't seriously dived into any of them.  Ironically enough I was thinking this might be the game I buy to take the plunge.

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 12, 2019, 08:11:33 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on May 12, 2019, 07:52:47 AM

This is a hilarious comment to me because I can't tell any of these games apart! :D

They all look awful, it's probably the main reason I haven't seriously dived into any of them.  Ironically enough I was thinking this might be the game I buy to take the plunge.

It will look better when IronX does a counter and map mod for it, something like this http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4584600  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

release on october 24th....not sure if buying, but by then I should have my matrix coupon in hand:)

solops

After reading some of the Matrix forum I am less than optimistic about this game. I am ready to be wrong. I really want something deeper than Strategic Command.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

I got into the beta and never really sunk my teeth into this one.  Something about it didn't grab me.  It felt a bit deeper than the SC series in terms of HOI-style alt history research and production, but not a whole lot else -- not that 30-40 minutes of dicking around in the menu can really tell you that...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MOS:96B2P

Matrix WarPlan looks like an interesting game.  After reading this thread I watched a few u-tube videos of the Beta version of the game.  As I looked at the map and counters it reminded me of the Avalon Hill board game Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.  I eventually found and read the developer diaries for the game.  On the very first post of Dev. Diary #1 was a big screenshot of the old Avalon Hill game box for Rise and Decline.  The developer goes on to explain how he played the Avalon Hill board game as a kid.  It seems some of the inspiration for WarPlan came from the board game.  As a kid I also spent many hours playing the board game with the game map sections, counters, manual and a notebook spread out on the dining room table.  It was a fun board game.  Now with a computer handling the record keeping, number crunching etc. (instead of my notebook) it should, in theory, be even more fun.  :)     

Granted, my judgment is biased and clouded with nostalgia for a favorite old board game but still ..........  I'll follow this one with interest.           

Huw the Poo

This will probably be released on Steam, right?  I've decided I need this game.