Combat Mission engine 4 patches released

Started by WallysWorld, May 03, 2019, 04:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Just downloaded and installing now.

"The highly anticipated patch for the 4.0 Upgrade is now available for Combat Mission games Battle for Normandy, Red Thunder, Fortress Italy, Final Blitzkrieg and Black Sea patches are all available for download."

CMx2 engine 4 patches
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

^For me, the biggest fix should be to the tactical AI. There was a big problem where your troops would break very easily when trying to move them under fire.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

WallysWorld

^
Yes, that is what I was waiting for too. The patch notes haven't been released, but the tactical AI behavior under fire was one of the main goals with the patch. I was holding off playing some PBEM until that got patched.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Yskonyn

Same here! My pbem games have been dead ever since 4.0. Great news! Time to finally get back to them!! Now lets hope nothing else got broken.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

The patch is a great improvement, at least in Fortress Italy. I tested a scenario I was having a lot of problems on with my units breaking very easily under scattered fire and the problem appears to be gone. Much more enjoyable (and realistic) experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Great news! Looking forward to trying myself!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

IICptMillerII

I'm loving the patches as well. I had no issues updating all of my games, many of which were still running game engine 3. I'm looking forward to the release of the comprehensive patch notes to see everything that got changed.

One new change I've noticed is in CM: Red Thunder, Soviet infantry appear to have less SVT-40s and submachine guns and more Mosins. I believe this change was made because many on the forums brought up some TO&E data showing that by 1944, the SVT-40 was rather rare.

So far, I haven't noticed any gameplay or technical issues arise as a result of the patches, though I've been bouncing around between all the titles a lot so its quite possible I've missed something. So far so good though!

WallysWorld

Very exciting to read this. After giving the games up for almost two years, I'm going to start playing again later today.

My next wish for this series is to have the Afghanistan game upgraded to engine 4. I think that game is underrated.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WallysWorld on May 04, 2019, 02:01:24 PM

My next wish for this series is to have the Afghanistan game upgraded to engine 4. I think that game is underrated.

Agreed. I still fire it up from time to time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

stolypin

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2019, 02:07:08 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on May 04, 2019, 02:01:24 PM

Agreed. I still fire it up from time to time.

Also agree.  I'd buy it in a second if it were engine 4.

Yskonyn

I am pretty sure BFC stated that game won't be upgraded due to licensing / rights issues.
It was made by a third party team.

al_infierno

Glad to hear they did a good job with a patch.  Guess it's time to reinstall my CM games.  The question is -- which one first?   :dreamer:

Looks like they finally added the patch notes to the thread, too.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

WallysWorld

Regarding CM: Afghanistan, yes it was done by a third party as Yskonyn stated, but one can always hope that Battlefront will buy the rights and update it. I certainly would pay for an upgrade of it.

Here are the patch notes:

PATCH NOTES:

TO&E and Formations

* Luftwaffe Jäger Battalion short of platoons

* QB force selection US infantry the FO appears with the label "Glider"

* British QB infantry-only Motor Battalion corrupted

* Sturmartillerie Brigade Begleitgrenadier armament

* Incorrect Stens in CMFI replaced with Thompsons

* Use of SVTs now radically reduced in some cases (CMRT)

*Ammo load outs for vehicles in CMFI corrected

Bug Fixes

* FIXED: Units are suppressed by small arms fire outside of range and directed 180 degrees away from them

* FIXED:  MG42 LMG is 258% more lethal than the Bren LMG and the B.A.R.

* FIXED: Poor accuracy of SPG-9 and enormous PG-9 HEAT ammo dispersion     

*FIXED: SPG-9 deployment/pack time too big

*FIXED: SPG-9 OG-9 HE ammo has incorrect (reduced) firing range

*FIXED: US antitank teams always fire AT4 before using Javelin

*FIXED: Unit Exit Bug in PBEM mode

*FIXED: Major changes to the TacAI to better handle the use of cover when under heavy fire

*FIXED: Units placement on the bridge bug

*FIXED Soldier pathing badly off course

*FIXED: Fixes from various different game releases consolidated and combined to be the same for all games

* FIXED: Various crashes and other small bugs fixed

Art/Model Fixes

* M4A3 Sherman 105 (early) model issues corrected

* M4A3 Sherman 105 (Mid) LOD issue

* Small fix for Valentine turret

* SPW 250/3 (Neu) distorted / wrong machine gun texture

* Crewman's head pokes through hull when unbuttoning JpzIV

* .30 cal MG firing location offset from the firer