Blast-off For MONDAY!!

Started by solops, June 18, 2018, 08:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: Destraex on June 19, 2018, 08:16:27 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 18, 2018, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 18, 2018, 11:07:27 AM
I dream about a time when I can dream about retirement.

Some of us are destined to work until death.

Correct. I am a few generations too late to be able to retire at a reasonable age.
Here in AU there is talk of raising the retirement age here to 70+ and above. THey are burning money like no tomorrow here on everything but their own people and allowing private enterprise to fleece them and the public with toll roads and other rent seeking schemes. As a good capitalist society will do if the market allows. Doctors here are trumping any subsidy the government gives and adding on top of it until the market cannot possibly bear it anymore. Older generations have the attitude to burn all of their generationally acquired capital before they die also. All in all I think we have become complacent and soft.

Here is the US, Trump wants to "privatize" road construction. Given the number of autos on the roads, this would be a cash cow for any massive business making toll roads. I can see the Feds handing over interstates to private companies for maintenance. For a fee. Win-win for the feds, they lose cost and gain revenue. But...the poor bastard driver has to now pay tolls on roads they have already paid for by their taxes. Not good.

Rayfer

Quote from: DennisS on June 19, 2018, 08:37:22 AM

Correct. I am a few generations too late to be able to retire at a reasonable age.
Here in AU there is talk of raising the retirement age here to 70+ and above. THey are burning money like no tomorrow here on everything but their own people and allowing private enterprise to fleece them and the public with toll roads and other rent seeking schemes. As a good capitalist society will do if the market allows. Doctors here are trumping any subsidy the government gives and adding on top of it until the market cannot possibly bear it anymore. Older generations have the attitude to burn all of their generationally acquired capital before they die also. All in all I think we have become complacent and soft.

Here is the US, Trump wants to "privatize" road construction. Given the number of autos on the roads, this would be a cash cow for any massive business making toll roads. I can see the Feds handing over interstates to private companies for maintenance. For a fee. Win-win for the feds, they lose cost and gain revenue. But...the poor bastard driver has to now pay tolls on roads they have already paid for by their taxes. Not good.

Perhaps better discussed in the "Religion/Politics/Flame Wars" Grogheads forum??   O:-)

jamus34

Whether you like him or don't like him this is not something new. At least by privatizing stuff you know the company will have to follow certain rules and regs unlike government.

For example in NJ our wonderful former governor (/sarcasm) raised the gas tax to pay for road improvements since the transportation fund was empty. Doesn't matter that it was empty due to mismanagement but whatever. As a bone to the plebeians he reduced the sales tax.

New governor comes in and wants to spend a metric shitton of money. Current revenue does not support it. His solution is to raise the sales tax. This is literally 1 year after it was lowered. Also nothing mentioned about lowering gas tax.

Note I did not include parties in referencing governors.
Insert witty comment here.

DennisS

Quote from: Rayfer on June 19, 2018, 09:32:00 AM

Perhaps better discussed in the "Religion/Politics/Flame Wars" Grogheads forum??   O:-)

Fair enough..just a simple observation.   O:-)