Holding a Sign for your Wife

Started by airboy, May 16, 2019, 05:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

My wife has a doll obsession.  She has thousands of dolls.  They are everywhere in our home excepting the master bedroom and my office.  She loves dolls, but bobbleheads hold a special place.

Everyone loves Aubie – Auburn's Mascot.  He is in the Mascot Hall of Fame (yes it exists) and has won more College Mascot of the Year than anyone.  Aubie does not have a "big head" and the suit is very flexible.  Past Aubies could walk on their hands, do backflips, and really, really dance.

We have had many, many sets of season sports tickets at Auburn for 31 years.  They sometimes have special giveaways.  T-shirts are common giveaways.  Many other items have been distributed over the years.  Bobbles have been done before for baseball players (Tim Hudson), multiple basketball players (Barkley, Chuck Person) and coaches (including Bruce Pearl).  But this Spring they had the ultimate bobblehead – Aubie.

Five Aubie bobbleheads were given out at five different Auburn games: 3 baseball and 2 softball.  The Aubies all wear a different team uniform (football, basketball, baseball, softball and an Auburn t-shirt).  Get all 5 and they spell "Aubie."  Unfortunately for us, they only gave away 500 of each bobblehead and they started the giveaways at games where we were in Minneapolis for the Final 4.

A good friend of mine secured the first bobble.  I thought they were all at baseball, but the 2nd was at a Softball game which was played when we were gone.  I contacted all buddies with softball season tickets – no bobble.  We tried Amazon, Craigslist, Ebay, etc...... but no "U" bobblehead was for sale.

So I got a standing room only ticket to an Auburn softball game where the "I" was given away.  Got there when the gates opened to get my "I."  While there, I stood on my feet for an hour and a half holding a sign which read "Need "U" Aubie Bobblehead" with many big "$s" on the sign.  I offered people who asked that I would pay $40 for the first "U" I got and gave away my name and phone number to 8 people.  I got the bobble for $40.

We all do things for our spouses.  Sometimes we do uncomfortable things.  Auburn is a  small town, plenty of people I know spoke to me when holding the sign with big smiles on their faces.  But every married male knew, in their heart, that it could be them holding the sign.  In fact, holding the sign while standing on my feet for an hour and a half was pretty small potatoes for almost 35 years of marriage.

Explaining the sign made many people smile.  I don't suffer from a lack of confidence, public shame, or a fear of being the object of kidding.  I'm the youngest of three boys (my father was the worst at needling), taught sales for years, and am unafraid of public speaking.

So enjoy this story and think about the last time you "Held the Sign."

You can see pictures at:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/16/holding-a-sign-for-your-wife/

JasonPratt

WARNING! -- those pix do not include him holding a sign.  :pullhair:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Awesome stuff Airboy. 

War Eagle!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback