Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I'm so old I remember when Reeves was a Bus Driver.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2018, 12:20:53 AM

I remember him when he was driving a phone booth
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2018, 12:20:53 AM

And his first name was Steve...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

So, while stumbling around on the internet I cruised upon what I suppose is old news by now, since Mark Hamill talked about it back on a May 4th interview somewhere in 2016 -- but as the old newspaper motto goes, since I hadn't read it, it was still news to me, and reminded me sharply that there was NEVER ANY REASON TO REALISTICALLY EXPECT that JJ Abrams had interesting and satisfying ideas in mind for his various mysteries. I mean, past experience suggests that, too, and admittedly I have to wonder what his totally aborted scripts (or treatments) for Eps 8 and 9 originally were. But it's possible that Rian Johnson dumped them because Abrams' actual plot reveals tend to be very, very dumb and misguided.

(Not that RJ replaced them with much of anything better if so, but still.)

According to Hamill, the explanation (sort of) for how the little orange cantina owner had gotten hold of Luke's original lightsaber, was because the hand holding the weapon had floated via the force over to Rey's not-Tatooine planet over the years (...and however many thousands of light-years distance...) where it dropped from orbit (with the hand shredding in the friction burnoff) to land near the trashed Star Destroyer that the Rebellion had dumped on the planet which Rey liked to scavenge.

But instead of Rey picking it up eventually, it was found first by Mon Hanata (or whatever her name was) while on a visit to the planet (for whatever reason), and being force-sensitive she secured it as an artifact.

That's it. That's all the mystery originally behind the saber ending up at that cantina in a vault. The Force wanted Rey to have it, so made it happen through plot contrivance. Eventually Abrams just cut out the extra details as too implausible for fans.

#:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

That beats my theory that Kylo Ren swiped Luke's lightsaber after he kicked him out of his Jedi School to give to his new master Snoke while Luke was busy sucking giant seal milk.  And Maz the Eyeglasses Lady stole it from Snoke by convincing him they were really brother and sister, another set of Jedi Twins born together. Don't laugh, they do look alike. That just leaves us to figure-out how somebody as cool as Darth Vader ended-up related to all these other idiots. My work here is done.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 21, 2018, 10:35:43 PM
That just leaves us to figure-out how somebody as cool as Darth Vader ended-up related to all these other idiots. My work here is done.

And the prequels explain that perfectly!

...wow, the sequels really do make the prequels look better by comparison.  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2018, 01:11:03 PM
...wow, the sequels really do make the prequels look better by comparison.  :hide:

Sad, but true.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

My friend Yoda always said, "Careful you must be where spread your seed you do".

JasonPratt

"Careful you must be
where spreading your seed you do:
this a haiku is!"

Huw the Poo

Well I finally saw this film.  Here is a list of all the good things about it:

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

There is no damned way the prequels are better than the sequels.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Star Wars is a lost cause now.  Thanks Disney.

Gusington

I really enjoyed Rogue One. More than any of the prequels, including Revenge of the Sith.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd