Savage Worlds

Started by meadbelly, June 25, 2012, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Holy crap. I just finished reading through the Player's Guide for Deadlands Reloaded and I pretty much want to play it now. This entire system just sounds amazing.

The Wild West with a massive dose of alternative history, plus magic (with SERIOUS drawbacks in terms of possibly losing your soul), plus mad scientists creating crazy inventions that add big abilities but might literally explode in your face, martial artists, randomly drawn fate chips spent for re-rolls and skill bonuses, poker used as a dueling mechanic.

I still haven't ready the second half of the source material (The Marshall's Handbook), but good lord does this seem fantastic!

Double Deuce

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 10, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
Holy crap. I just finished reading through the Player's Guide for Deadlands Reloaded and I pretty much want to play it now. This entire system just sounds amazing.

I've heard lots of good things about it but never had time to get into a game. I think there's a pretty large following that play straight Savage Worlds online using the Fantasy Grounds VTT. Not sure they every got a ruleset worked up for Deadlands yet or not.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Double Deuce on September 11, 2012, 11:08:44 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 10, 2012, 06:00:45 PM

I've heard lots of good things about it but never had time to get into a game. I think there's a pretty large following that play straight Savage Worlds online using the Fantasy Grounds VTT. Not sure they every got a ruleset worked up for Deadlands yet or not.

the last couple of RPG books I've read through were fairly hit or miss. For Savage Worlds stuff, Low Life is hilarious, but it's so weird that I can't imagine actually running anything long form using it. Thrilling Tales ended up being a fairly meh disappointment, which was a big let down because I was hoping for a winner with a pulp adventure theme.

But this one...I like every single thing I read here. You can take real risks with characters, and while the rewards will be huge if you succeed, failure brings a pretty epic price. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I loved everything in the book.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I've got that "I just found a really cool thing!" giddiness going on.  ;D

VTT looks really cool, actually. A bit pricy, but it would be a great way to keep gaming with a group once people have moved away or what not.