Savage Worlds

Started by meadbelly, June 25, 2012, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadbelly

I am in the process of falling deeply and madly in love with Savage Worlds, based largely on the recommendations here. Folks may want to consider cashing out their Hasbro stock, because this annual tither may have just found a new game to spend inappropriately upon.

I am in the process of converting a GURPS campaign over to Savage Worlds (very little conversion, mostly on the player end.) I am probably also going to start running the "War of the Dead" zombiepocalyse published campaign next month.

I wish I could share my joy by actually playing with y'all.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: meadbelly on June 25, 2012, 02:08:52 PM
I am in the process of falling deeply and madly in love with Savage Worlds, based largely on the recommendations here. Folks may want to consider cashing out their Hasbro stock, because this annual tither may have just found a new game to spend inappropriately upon.

I am in the process of converting a GURPS campaign over to Savage Worlds (very little conversion, mostly on the player end.) I am probably also going to start running the "War of the Dead" zombiepocalyse published campaign next month.

You could always try and run a play by post forum game....  :D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 25, 2012, 06:34:00 PM
Quote from: meadbelly on June 25, 2012, 02:08:52 PM

You could always try and run a play by post forum game....  :D

Indeed... ;D

meadbelly

^I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the pacing of a play-by-post. For example, combat resolved 1 round at a time could take several days if not a week or two. The flip side is me making decisions for the players so we can process a couple of rounds at a time. Not sure that folks are all that interested in creating characters and having me run them.

But if I'm hesitant, it doesn't mean I'm opposed. I'll do some surfing to see if I can find any play=by-post suggestions. 'Cause this Savage Worlds thing -- it deserves some playin'!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: meadbelly on June 25, 2012, 11:15:49 PM
^I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the pacing of a play-by-post. For example, combat resolved 1 round at a time could take several days if not a week or two. The flip side is me making decisions for the players so we can process a couple of rounds at a time. Not sure that folks are all that interested in creating characters and having me run them.

But if I'm hesitant, it doesn't mean I'm opposed. I'll do some surfing to see if I can find any play=by-post suggestions. 'Cause this Savage Worlds thing -- it deserves some playin'!

Yeah, a combat would be a bear to run. Either you'd have to draw initiative cards for everyone, or we'd all be doing it separately. Then you've got dice rolling and the like...the whole thing would bog down if it was sizable at all.

meadbelly

It occurs to me that rping doesn't have to include combat (yeah, I'm a little slow on the uptake). So I have a vision of a play-by-post. Your characters will be military men on leave during Fleet Week in Nice, France. You find yourselves in a spa with extraordinarily attractive women of an indulgent nature. Language is the only barrier to what you seek.

And. . . Scene!

(I am only kidding a little. Or a lot. Based purely on interest, ha ha)

TheCommandTent

I am currently involved in a play by post RPG on a blog a GM runs.  You might want to check it out to see how he runs the game and combat.  I really enjoy it and so far everyone is keeping up with posting their actions.  Its alot of fun, although I am sure it is a ton of work on the GM's part.

You can check it out here.

http://westkingdom.blogspot.com/
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

meadbelly

^Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out!

Arctic Blast

Just picked up another couple of system books for this. I've never played Deadlands, so I grabbed the Marshall's Handbook and Player's Book for that. The other is Low Life. Imagine a far future where Earth is without man. the players are some other species, from Oofos (aliens) to giant bugs to my personal favorite race ever in any RPG : Creamfillians. They're sentient snack cakes. I have no idea how realistic it is to even consider running this setting, but it's so bizarre I had to read it.

And sentient snack cakes! come on!

meadbelly

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 18, 2012, 11:20:48 PM
Just picked up another couple of system books for this. I've never played Deadlands, so I grabbed the Marshall's Handbook and Player's Book for that. The other is Low Life. Imagine a far future where Earth is without man. the players are some other species, from Oofos (aliens) to giant bugs to my personal favorite race ever in any RPG : Creamfillians. They're sentient snack cakes. I have no idea how realistic it is to even consider running this setting, but it's so bizarre I had to read it.

And sentient snack cakes! come on!

Good heavens, I understand the interest! I'll be checking out Low Life for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

I got exposed to the Deadlands ccg while at WotC a gazillion years ago. I knew that it was based on an rpg, but never looked into it. I'm now kicking myself that I could have been playing Savage Worlds for a gazillions years instead of a few weeks!

bayonetbrant

there's also a reboot of Space:1889 for Savage Worlds, for all you early-adopter SteamPunks out there.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/81526/space-1889-red-sands
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

meadbelly

I pulled the trigger on the Wierd World War II campaign setting. It is a decent combo of stuff I like (wwii) and stuff my players like more than me (wierd/horror/cult/cthulhu).

I'm also pulling the trigger on the first compilation of the zombie apocalypse campaign (don't recall the name. Something Dead or Dead Something), for similar reasons. My players are far more into zombies than I am.

I looked hard at the 1889 Red Sands setting as my first savage worlds games were a converted-from-GURPS near future mars campaign, but the pulp nature of the 1889 setting, and the availability of non-gaming based aids (satellite images and maps of Mars, the scifi trilogy that inspired the setting) dissuaded me.

I am eyeballing the Darwin's World setting, largely because I want to get the 20-year-old bitter aftertaste of Aftermath out of my system.  ::)

Arctic Blast

Quote from: meadbelly on July 20, 2012, 11:21:54 AM
I pulled the trigger on the Wierd World War II campaign setting. It is a decent combo of stuff I like (wwii) and stuff my players like more than me (wierd/horror/cult/cthulhu).

I'm also pulling the trigger on the first compilation of the zombie apocalypse campaign (don't recall the name. Something Dead or Dead Something), for similar reasons. My players are far more into zombies than I am.

I looked hard at the 1889 Red Sands setting as my first savage worlds games were a converted-from-GURPS near future mars campaign, but the pulp nature of the 1889 setting, and the availability of non-gaming based aids (satellite images and maps of Mars, the scifi trilogy that inspired the setting) dissuaded me.

I am eyeballing the Darwin's World setting, largely because I want to get the 20-year-old bitter aftertaste of Aftermath out of my system.  ::)

Weird War 2 is a lot of fun! Started playing a campaign a buddy of mine is running a short time back. I also plan to run one myself some day...I have ideas for a small group of PC's scouting out Kampfgruppe Peiper during the battle of the bulge. Peiper himself will be a master vampire, perhaps wuth a couple of Wolfhund as a personal guard.  ;D

And I'm guessing you're referring to the War of the Dead series? I read some reviews of the first 3 books, and I think I'm going to have to pick at least one of them up as well.

meadbelly

^Yep, War of the Dead, that's the one. I also pulled the trigger on the Day after Ragnorak.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: meadbelly on July 22, 2012, 01:25:00 PM
^Yep, War of the Dead, that's the one. I also pulled the trigger on the Day after Ragnorak.

I'm probably going to put together a big Noble Knight order end of this week as a self birthday gift, and I think War of the Dead will be a part of it. If you're looking for Savage Worlds adventures, definitely check out the Daring Tales of Adventure books as well. Very much pulp, along the lines of Indiana Jones.

I'd also love to get ahold of the Necessary Evil setting book, but that seems to be pretty hard to come by at the moment.