African Adventure (Post Apocalypse Forum RPG game)

Started by Double Deuce, April 26, 2012, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

OK, is the background information for the Military/Post Apocalypse Forum based RPG game.

The game will take place August 2000 in eastern Africa (Swaziland to be more exact). WWIII has raged for several years and civilization has for the most part collapsed.

SOUTH AFRICA

Eastern Africa is in much the same condition as the rest of the world, suffering from famine of biblical proportions, claiming millions of lives. South Africa, as a major provider of weapons before the war, was a prime target of both sides. The nuclear strikes on South Africa leave its industry devastated. By this time, its export of military arms or anything else of value has all but ceased.

However, now that the main belligerents turn whats left of the war making capabilities against each other southern Africa is back on the worlds ignore list. As part of their rebuilding plan, their  need for manual labor skyrockets. Tempted by the sad state of the African interior, South Africa now claims everything south of the 20th parallel as its territory. Only South Africa's degraded military capability prevents them from really pushing these claims beyond mere political posturing. That and their neighbors vow to physically resists any claims on their territory.

SWAZILAND

As the the developed world continues its slide off into the abyss of World War III the more remote places on the globe have changed very little. While most urban areas were subjected to nukes, including those of the more organized and prosperous African nations, the rural areas labored on as before, just trying to survive through until the next day. As other countries focus their attention on their own affairs, many simply ignore Africa and her people. Things continue to go from bad to worse. 

Swaziland's border with  South Africa is a very dangerous place and skirmishes between their forces is commonplace. Travel is severely restricted and the security forces look upon foreigners as interlopers and spies, specifically those working at embassies who they frequently claim are providing aid and comfort to South African and insurgent rebel forces.

Without foreign aid and military support Swaziland's military is mediocre at best. Unable to face the increased  South Africa pressure on their borders and at the same time clamp down on renegade warlords setting up defacto states from within, they have begun to lose control of their few remaining profitable territorial assets. In this case their diamond, iron ore, asbestos and coal mines.

One such place is Havelock Mine, near Bulembu. Not only is the mine actively producing asbestos, it sits on a vital crossroad along the South Africa/Swaziland border. Occupied by one of these warlords who openly deals with South Africa for military support in return for raw materials, Swaziland security forces have been forced to give up on any hope of retaking the area, at least for now.

In recent weeks these rebels, backed by South African security forces have expanded their efforts in obtaining conscript labor for their mining operations all the way to outskirts of Swaziland's capital city of Mbabane.

Mbabane, Swaziland also happens to be the place you currently call home.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

To play in the game you will need to a character. There are 2 methods to do this.

• You can download the attached "Character Creation Walkthrough_MOD" file to your local machine, open it (its a .pdf file), select/add your information, save it an reattach it to his thread. I will use that information to finish up your character and create your official character sheet.

• Go to http://vonexplaino.com/code/gurps/ and set the "Character points" to 125. Follow the 10 steps needed to build your character. Once completed use the "Save as an image" button (it will save as a .jpg file). Upload that "image" file the this thread and I will use that to create your official character sheet.
NOTE: You do not need to know anything about GURPS or RPG's to participate. All you need to do is post your character's actions based on the current information in the game thread(s). For the most part I will play out the action and post updates based on your character's actions, abilities and the "enemy's" abilities and actions.

Your official "Character Sheet" will be mainly for you to have a hard copy record of your stats, abilities, equipment and whatnot and for me to use a reference for resolving events.

For anyone needing guidance as to what kinds of skills would be available you can see them in this freely downloadable GURPS Skill Categories PDF however you will want to make make sure they fit in with your character concept/background.

Any questions, please feel free to post or PM me.

Double Deuce

If anyone would prefer me to create a pregenerated character for you just send me a PM with any general information you want taken into consideration such as nationality, etc. I will also come up with a few on my own and post them to this thread in the next day or so.

Double Deuce

OK, here is a sample PC, one Oton Peutherer. If someone wants to use him that is fine. You can pick another name and write up your own background for him however, looking at his skills and nationality I figure he be a good fit as a "Doctors Without Borders" type from the Netherlands working with the locals providing medical care and maybe doing some veterinary care on the side when the war broke out. Anyway, feel free to look him over.

I plan on coming up with a few more over the next few days just for variety.

TheCommandTent

I hope to find some time this weekend to put together a character.  If not I might use one of your pre-generated ones.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 28, 2012, 03:28:08 PM
I hope to find some time this weekend to put together a character.  If not I might use one of your pre-generated ones.

I didn't wanna quote the whole image you attached in your previous post so I quoted this one.   ;)

Did you not pick any combat (i.e. Weapon type) skills? I think the online form uses GURPS Lite which is supposedly only slightly different but I will replicate what you posted here in the character builder I have and see how it turns out. You may have some more points to spend although bumping your stats above the 10 starting average usually eats up a good chunk of character build points.

Double Deuce

OK, here is another pre-generated PC, one PFC Joseph Serra, US Army. Again, if someone wants to use him that is fine. You can pick another name and write up your own background for him. I have his suggested background being a guard at the US Embassy in Mbabane (Yes, I know, Marines guard embassies but these are difficult times, so you use who you can). He is also the resident wheel vehicle mechanic.

I still intend to come up with a couple more over the next few day.

Double Deuce

Found another online character builder;

Go to http://brentnewhall.com/rpg/gurps_4e.php and set the "Character points" to 125 far right side, about 1/2 way down). Adjust your Attributes using the up/down arrows and continue down the sheet, picking/adjusting your Advantages, Disadvantages and Skills. Your available points will update as you make changes. Once you are done click the "Generate character sheet"  button. It won't print out anything pretty, just copy and paste the information into a post here or send it to me via PM.

As in the 1st post of this thread, there are 2 other methods to create your character.

You can download the attached "Character Creation Walkthrough_MOD" file to your local machine, open it (its a .pdf file), select/add your information, save it an reattach it to his thread. I will use that information to finish up your character and create your official character sheet.

Go to http://vonexplaino.com/code/gurps/ and set the "Character points" to 125. Follow the 10 steps needed to build your character. Once completed use the "Save as an image" button (it will save as a .jpg file). Upload that "image" file the this thread and I will use that to create your official character sheet.

Any questions, please feel free to post or PM me.

TheCommandTent

You think I should redo my character sheet using the new online character builder?

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 29, 2012, 04:52:06 PM
You think I should redo my character sheet using the new online character builder?

No, your good BUT I did a 4th Edition recalc and you have 8 points left if you want to add any weapons type skills.