Forum RPG game?

Started by Double Deuce, April 18, 2012, 09:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Ok, although I'm still extremely busy with RL stuff I am curious if there is still enough interest to get something started? I know the other threads that popped up were more fantasy based (OSRIC/1E AD&D and Pendragon) and there was pretty good interest. At this point those games seem to be "on hold" and so I was thinking of starting up something a little more "modern".

I have Twilight 2000 (v 2.2) but its rather complex to be used for a forum game (IMHO) at least as far as character creation and the need to roll so many d6 for autofire results. I also have GURPS, which can be used for any era or genre but I am just learning that system so I may not be enough up to speed to run something using that without making some rookie GM mistakes. One good thing with GURPS though is it's d6 based so the die roller here is already well suited to accommodate a game of GURPS. I also have the GURPS Character Assistant so I can keep updated Character Sheets as the game progresses and post .pdf copies of them to the forums for each player to use. ;-)

I would post a poll but that does not seem to be an option here (at least I'm not seeing that option when creating this post/thread). Sooo, if anyone has any feedback, preferences, etc, feel free to post as well as indicating your preferred theme such as Fantasy, Old West, Science Fiction, Military (WWII, Twilight 2k and stuff). To be honest, I'm not big on the whole Zombie craze so any game, won't be going there just so you know. ;-)

twitter3

Old West would be a nice change.  My other option would be something like the 'Dirty Dozen'.

Double Deuce

Quote from: twitter3 on April 18, 2012, 09:25:42 AMMy other option would be something like the 'Dirty Dozen'.

Funny you should mention that. Since reading through the GURPS stuff I've been contemplating the idea of running a game with a multinational group of special force like PC's hunting down Nazi's working to set up secret bases around the world, in particular the Amazon river basin, cause pretty much everyone likes offing Nazi's!   8)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on April 18, 2012, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: twitter3 on April 18, 2012, 09:25:42 AMMy other option would be something like the 'Dirty Dozen'.

Funny you should mention that. Since reading through the GURPS stuff I've been contemplating the idea of running a game with a multinational group of special force like PC's hunting down Nazi's working to set up secret bases around the world, in particular the Amazon river basin, cause pretty much everyone likes offing Nazi's!   8)

That sounds fun! :)

You know me I am in for anything you run.

Also if you want to create a poll there is a button for that right next to the New Topic button on the forum you want to create it in, it says New Poll.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 18, 2012, 12:05:47 PM
Also if you want to create a poll there is a button for that right next to the New Topic button on the forum you want to create it in, it says New Poll.

Ahh, completely missed it. On my SMF forums the poll option is at the bottom (where you add attachments) when you create the thread for adding polls. Probably a formatting/theme thing. Anyway thanks, I guess I will have to add one now.   

Double Deuce

OK, I threw up a poll to get some more general feedback. If anyone has other ideas, preferences not listed please feel free to post.

Double Deuce

Looks like the leading themes so far are "Low Fantasy (Very Little Magic)" and "Military/Post Apocalypse (i.e. Twilight 2000)". I'll leave the poll open for a while longer to see if we can get the tie broken, maybe through the weekend and see where we stand then.

Jack Nastyface

I recently came across a vietnam war rpg called "carry".  It seems to be fairly "personal" in nature, where individual players have various goals they want to achieve.  This might be interesting.  If there is interest, I can contact the company to see if they could offer us a group discount on the rules.

Here's the rpggeek entry...http://rpggeek.com/rpg/1489/carry-a-game-about-war
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on April 20, 2012, 11:45:29 AM
I recently came across a vietnam war rpg called "carry".  It seems to be fairly "personal" in nature, where individual players have various goals they want to achieve.  This might be interesting.  If there is interest, I can contact the company to see if they could offer us a group discount on the rules.

Here's the rpggeek entry...http://rpggeek.com/rpg/1489/carry-a-game-about-war

Interesting, not sure I'm up for learning a new system though. Would everyone need a copy of the rules for this?

Double Deuce

Looks like "Military/Historical Based (WWII, Modern, etc)" has jumped into the lead. If you that voted, or others, have a preference for a certain time period please post so I can get an idea of what background information I need to start doing some preliminary research into.  ;)

Jack Nastyface

from what I've read, carry is a short-form RPG, so there may not be a tremendous rule set to learn.  As I mentioned, if we get enough players, it would be worthwhile contacting the publisher and seeing if we can get a discount (due to the fact that we would essentially be publishing a gaming session for them).
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on April 22, 2012, 01:26:38 AM
from what I've read, carry is a short-form RPG, so there may not be a tremendous rule set to learn.  As I mentioned, if we get enough players, it would be worthwhile contacting the publisher and seeing if we can get a discount (due to the fact that we would essentially be publishing a gaming session for them).

Not sure you would get many to pony up for rules they might not play. Can definitely see if there responses int his thread or maybe start a new one. I might pick them up just to have a look. Been also thinking about getting Ranger. I think it could make for a good forum game.

KyzBP

Ranger is a fun solitaire game.  While I was in the Army we actually used it as a training tool.  That was where I was first introduced to it.  When I got out I contacted Omega Games and ended up talking with Bill Gibbs (designer) for awhile.  I ordered the game and he threw in so much extra stuff the box wouldn't fully close.  After 20 years I still have that copy.

If you chose to play Rangers count me in.  If anyone out there is interested in a good solitaire game make sure you check this out.

Double Deuce

Well, as of this morning, Military/Post Apocalypse (i.e. Twilight 2000) has jumped in the lead (6 votes) with Military/Historical Based (WWII, Modern, etc) right behind (5 votes). The others are trailing these two although only slightly.

So . . . it looks like it'll be a Military/Post Apocalypse (i.e. Twilight 2000) game then and I have nice small scenario I'm fleshing out. We will keep it short and as uncomplicated as possible so it has a better chance of finishing to an actual end point. After that we can continue it on or switch to something else, maybe a small Old West game. 

The game system that will be used is GURPS since its a fairly simple system (after you get past Character Development).

If you are unfamiliar with the GURPS system, this document pretty much explains it all in a single page pdf.

I will start another thread with the situational overview and some basic guidelines for character creation. I will also post a 2 page Character Creation form you can fill out and send to me and I will use that as the basis for building out your character OR if you are inclined to be a little more detailed you can use a GURPS character creator I found to fully build your character online.

TheCommandTent

Sounds good, looking forward to getting started.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."