Foxhole has been released on Steam.

Started by AchillesLastStand, July 31, 2017, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Played this about a year ago during a free alpha and it was pretty good, it only had infantry at the time but quite a bit has been added since then including light tanks and arty. Anyone played or playing this currently?

http://www.foxholegame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole/

"Foxhole is a massively multiplayer game where you will work with hundreds of players to shape the outcome of a persistent online war. Every individual soldier is a player that contributes to the war effort through logistics, base building, reconnaissance, combat, and more".

Key Features

Player Autonomy - Every solider is controlled by a player. Players ARE the content.

•Sandbox warfare, where players determine the narrative of a long term war

•Emergent strategies and tactics make every part the war feel unique

•Your character stays active in the world even after you've gone offline

•Build your capacity to contribute to the war by acquiring resources, crafting, and building

Persistent World - Join hundreds of players in a shared, war torn universe.

•Capture and setup supply lines to keep your frontline well equipped

•Execute long term strategies that take weeks of planning, changing the tide of the war with minimal casualties

•Conquer and relinquish territories in a back and forth, high stakes conflict

•Play as a persistent character throughout the war, gaining notoriety and influence among your faction
Realistic Combat - Tense and cerebral battles that keep you on the edge of your seat.

•Ammunition, resources, and information are limited, requiring players to work together to survive

•Dynamic battle conditions: Use the time of day and terrain features to gain an advantage

•Combat where skills and strategy matter more than stats or XP points

•Reconnaissance is as important as firepower

jomni

Started a thread a while ago but no one commented.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20130.0

After playing the whole weekend, it seems to be pretty good. But it's actually a crafting game.  I heard that crafting became so complex compared to Alpha. Craft everything form weapons, ammo, factories, bunkers, vehicles, equipment.  It's also a tower defence game of sorts. Placing defences is key and is a slow creep. It kinda feels like WW1.  You do get to fight people but you also fight the automated bunkers and build your own -- which is the key to gaining ground.

Best experience I had is if the team has dedicated logistics runners and stuff builders. That way you can concentrate on fighting in the front lines.  Without people handing you supplies, it's not fun at all.  Building the stuff yourself takes so long. I'd like to do logistics work but I don't know where to start (I think maybe build a truck first as almost all idle trucks are locked by their creator) but running supplies should be a massive and organised task. Not the work of just one person.

Jarhead0331

^sounds like a peculiar design decision. Since when do soldiers manufacture vehicles and weapons on the front line? Basic fortifications, modifications and repairs, ok, but actually crafting weapons and vehicles?

Also, if your character remains active when you go offline, why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2017, 04:53:15 AM
why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?

^the developer would had to build a real AI that is more then just a unit/tower placed in the world that start shooting when something get into range 

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2017, 04:53:15 AM
^sounds like a peculiar design decision. Since when do soldiers manufacture vehicles and weapons on the front line? Basic fortifications, modifications and repairs, ok, but actually crafting weapons and vehicles?

Also, if your character remains active when you go offline, why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?

They manufacture stuff in factories in cities then brought to forward bases by others manning supply trucks.  You can do salvage runs (from the dead) if desperate.  You build forts and bases in the front line. Destroy enemy auto-defenses and capture resources and key facilities... inching closer to the capital.  Defenses help  in maintaining the front line when server population is low or concentrated on one area of the map for a big offensive.

No RPG elements. Don't get attached to your guy. You die quickly by getting hit twice and spawn after a minute. He's just fodder.   :bd:

Jarhead0331

It sounds a little like Running with Rifles, which is a great game and has a robust single player mode. Big WWII Pacific Theater DLC coming soon and tons of awesome mods.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

This is actually a super fun game from the looks of the videos on YouTube.
I am going to take a look at it myself over the coming days.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 12, 2017, 10:12:00 AM
This is actually a super fun game from the looks of the videos on YouTube.
I am going to take a look at it myself over the coming days.

Warning. The isomeric and limited field of view needs getting used to.

Yskonyn

Ok I am a little bummed here: can one only play on 'smallish' servers? No big single shard war? Does this require people to be in guilds of some sort or is the community friendly to randoms as well?
If its the first then I'll file for refund.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Hofstadter

No guilds as far as I know. It's just a pain to know what to do
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 12, 2017, 10:46:29 PM
Ok I am a little bummed here: can one only play on 'smallish' servers? No big single shard war? Does this require people to be in guilds of some sort or is the community friendly to randoms as well?
If its the first then I'll file for refund.

No small battles.  Community is friendly so far.  But heard there are some nasty people too and those who are selfish with their crafted stuff but never encountered any.

Dread Rlyeh

This game is actually pretty fun, I'm surprised more of the Grogs aren't playing it.  The view however does take a bit of getting used to, especially when driving.  I thought that would be a game breaker for me, but I was pleasantly surprised.  It certainly helps balance the various weapons.

If you are a new player, you can be a big help to your team by simply mining scrap.  Look for the screw icons, go there and hit the scrap piles, drop it off in the nearby box.  A logistics crew will most likely be by within 5 or 10 minutes to pick it up.  If someone is already working the yard (you really only need 1 person), move to another screw location.  In the meantime, practice the controls and watch the chat/map as to get a feel as to what is going on.  Let the team know if you have a full box or if there is significant tech that needs to be picked up. 

Some general tips:
- For fighting, to start with, I suggest arming yourself with a rifle as this offers a (relatively) large viewing distance.  Kneeling or prone will improve accuracy.  If rifle grenades are available, grab at least the adapter and 1 grenade.  The view range is HUGE and a massive boon to a new player on the battlefield.  Use it to scout and get the lay of the land.  To use - equip the adapter and a grenade from your backpack.  Take our your rifle, press shift, then press reload.  RMB to aim.

- Crewing a foxhole or bunker will vastly improve your survival.  No real downside other than make sure you don't block it for a more experienced player.  You can build an unconnected foxhole and use this to hold territory while other teammates build to you. 

- Join a game in the early stages, look for < day 5.  Don't throw yourself into a meat grinder until you know some basics. 

- Did I mention rifle grenades?  Great for killing builders/their nascent buildings, HMG, FMG crew, and newbies behind sandbags.  Experienced, players will obviously attempt to run out of the kill zone before detonation. 

- Once you hit full encumbrance, there is no additional penalty.  Depending on the distance, it is certainly feasible to carry, on foot, a full load of scrap to a manufacturing plant.  Some towns will have both scrap and a manufacturing plant.  This isn't ideal of course, but if someone isn't running logistics it is an option if your scrap boxes are full or you can make it back between spawns.   

- Don't put mats into the townhalls/outposts, it takes significantly longer to extract them.  Drop them off in a box nearby. 

- Until you understand the appropriate tech progression, DON'T submit tech.  Leave it in a box and/or tell an adult. 

- Read the wiki  :)

Yskonyn

Thanks for the tips.

Its not for me, though. I have gotten the game refunded.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 20, 2017, 08:45:28 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Its not for me, though. I have gotten the game refunded.
Out of curiosity, was it the view (and the necessity of constantly adjusting it)?  That seems to be one of the top complaints about the game and certainly made me hesitate. 

One thing I've enjoyed is the long term planning aspect.  It's fun to think "I bet they are going to push town X hard in an hour or two" then build up the defenses and watch them founder on the rocks so to speak. 

Anyway, whats nice is the amazing variety of indy/small studio games we currently have.  I'm guessing you have a healthy queue or at least some fallback options.  Kudos to steam on the refund feature though, I wish that existed back in the old days  :)