WotC revamps the monster book for DD5e

Started by bayonetbrant, October 20, 2016, 05:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/10/19/13321200/dungeons-and-dragons-volos-guide-to-monsters-monster-manual-beholder-mind-flayer

They're redoing the "monster manual" as more of a travelogue / first-person 'field guide' to the monsters

Sounds interesting

There've been "Volo's Guide to..." for years, so it's not like this is a 'new' character.
http://rpggeek.com/rpgseries/2028/volos-guides

(not sure whether the Volo book was released first, or the original Poor Wizard's Almanac, but they're very similar in feel)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I'm looking forward to it and have a pre-order at the FLGS.  My real concern is that after the first read or two that 2/3 of the book becomes essentially useless beyond possible backstory.  And there are less than 100 new monsters, which is a bit disappointing given the price.

Martok

That...actually looks pretty interesting. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Reminds me of Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Double Deuce

Looks interesting. I really miss the 'fluff' that was in the older version monster manuals.

Bison

Well the new book goes on sale tomorrow, but I have to make a decision first.  The FLGS only orders the hobby shop exclusive cover, so if I want it tomorrow I'll need to get that one otherwise they'll order me the regular cover.  They let me peruse the book today and the alternative are is pretty cool, but it would stand out from all of the others.  I like order on my RPG bookshelf.

Hobby Shop Exclusive:

Normal Cover:

Martok

Odd as this sounds, I actually like the normal cover more.  Still, the other one is quite distinctive. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Well I picked up the collector copy.  Its a nice book, but if I happen to see the normal cover used I'd consider picking it up.

Anyway.  I think WotC may have a nice concept here going forward.  I think the new player races are quite interesting in particular the Tabaxi, which is a cat race.  The monster selection is fine enough, but nothing really revolutionary.  Although I do like the froghemoth and the fact that they made a stat block for cows is...well...odd and funny.  Oh and the Ki-rin is a sweet creature.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on November 04, 2016, 11:13:19 PMin particular the Tabaxi, which is a cat race

how different are they from the Rakasta?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 05, 2016, 06:39:01 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 04, 2016, 11:13:19 PMin particular the Tabaxi, which is a cat race

how different are they from the Rakasta?

Not really sure.  I don't own any books with Rakasta stats.  I think that Rakasta are more warrior-like, while the Tabaxi are portrayed as wandering rogues and minstrels.

bayonetbrant

Bison

Nefaro

Large "Monster Manuals" are essential for any RPG, IMO.  When I'm considering picking up a new one, I always check & see if there is a wide variety of targets available for Hobo Murder inspiration.  Bestest in huge hardback form!   O0

Bison

Well there are only about 100 "new" monsters, but the really interesting part is they've given you tools to create fleshed out named monster boss NPCs.  I'm pretty stoked to use the beholder, mind flayer, hobgoblin, and orc stuff.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on November 05, 2016, 11:28:45 AM
4e homebrew rules?

that's the 'official' repository of all the Mystara stuff