Shadowrun 5e

Started by BanzaiCat, July 07, 2016, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Anyone play Shadowrun, specifically the newer version? Just wondering what's good or not about it. I haven't played in a long time but might get back into it.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 07, 2016, 07:50:59 PM
Anyone play Shadowrun, specifically the newer version? Just wondering what's good or not about it. I haven't played in a long time but might get back into it.

I have the latest 5th Edition, and a couple source books. 

Unfortunately I haven't read it yet.  Dipped into the chargen a bit (plus got the sb with the "lifepath" chargen options, which I enjoy) but haven't delved into the meat of it.   The core book is MASSIVE.  A plus, but needs a sizable time investment.  I have potential players asking me to start a fantasy campaign at the moment, so SR5e is waiting in ambush.

From what I've seen, the mechanics are generally the same.  D6 dice pools based on Stat & Skill.  The magic system reportedly got a small revamp, along with some other stuff (chase rules??).  It's still rather "crunchy" in areas, if that's something you're afraid of. 

Many people have praised the huge new 5e core book.  I certainly think it has value based on size and content alone.  Not a big fan of how the page colors alternate between black with white lettering & white or light grey with black lettering, even on the same page. 

The excessive use of sidebars with a black background is the primary culprit.  Sidebars everywhere!  It's as if I'm reading two manuals at once, on each page.  If you've read rules to other recent RPGs, or even some of the more complicated adventure boardgames, you'll know what I'm talking about.  I'm all about examples, tables, or summaries placed in them, for quick reference purposes, but it seems like many rules and procedures have been dropped into them here.  I suppose the true test will be when I attempt to look something up quickly; whether I can skip skimming the regular text because all I need is in the sidebars.  Dunno yet.  It's laid out a bit differently than most.

Other than the possible layout confusion on my part, I'm quite happy with what I got in the core book.  That thing's a brick, packed with content.  Good amount of fluff interspersed, too, with short stories at the beginning of each chapter & such.  The biggest issue is probably in finding players who aren't afraid of getting away from the typical fantasy settings, and dropping them into this one without too much shock.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro