Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

mirth

Open it in a private/incognito window to get around the paywall.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

OK, got in.... those frogs can go blow it out their asses... Quebec is part of Canada. We won, they lost.  :knuppel2: Time they realized that....

mirth

Barthheart

Shut yer pie hole fake frog.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Tourtière pie?

Mmmmmmm.......

Hofstadter

Spicy scrambled eggs with chapatti

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

I've got "connections" into the meat part of my cow college.  My buddy Brian (aka Pig Man) alerted me to when the next hog harvest would start.  I then emailed my friend Barney who cuts the meat asking for four packages of pig necks.

I got fifteen pounds of meaty pig necks for $12 on Thursday.  Friday the pig neck picnic started.

We use the Julia Child recipe for making broth.  We bake the meaty joints for 50 minutes at 450 degrees turning once.  They are baked with roughly chopped celery, carrots and onions.  We then dump the contents into a large stew pot.  Next we add a couple of cups of boiling water from a kettle to the baking pans.  After sitting for a couple of minutes, we scrape the pans with a rigid pancake flipper.  The brown mixture is added to the stewpot.  The solid contents are covered with water.  The pot then simmers happily away for five hours.

Next we pick out all of the solids with tongs.  We do an initial removal of meat free bones and vegetable matter.  The liquids are strained and the sodden veggies are mashed to get the broth.  Fat is mostly separated out with a special measuring cup.  Meaty bone mass is put the fridge overnight as is the broth.  The next morning we do a final fat skim on the broth and freeze in plastic two cup containers.  The meat is handpicked through to remove the cartilage and bones. 

We had so many meaty bones to start with it ended up being a two and a third day process.  We baked and boiled on Friday and Saturday.  Froze broth and meat round one on Saturday morning and completed the second round of broth and meat on Sunday morning (we attend Mass in the evening).

As a result, we have 15 cups of frozen pork scraps and 19 cups of frozen pork broth.  This is used for many things, especially green pork chili and in many bean dishes.  We will use the results for at least 8 dishes all of which will feed us for 2-3 days.

The dog pack goes nuts smelling the baking and boiling pig meat and bones for two days.

The ingredients from this weekend's work will be the basis of 8 or so future dishes.

Hofstadter

Eggplant and tofu stirfry with chille jam and thai basil

My wargaming channel

Staggerwing

Have you considered starting one of those "Minor assembly required" internet home-meal services? It won't take long to find some subscribers over here in USA.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Maybe we should publish a Grogheads cookbook.... takes a lot of grub to keep a fighting man healthy.  ;)

Hofstadter

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 15, 2018, 07:49:28 PM
Have you considered starting one of those "Minor assembly required" internet home-meal services? It won't take long to find some subscribers over here in USA.

Oh I wouldn't have the means to do that

And tofu isn't that bad!. The texture takes some getting used to, but it really sucked up the sauce and tastes awesome.I use it instead of pork, trying to cut down on my meat consumption and Thais just chuck ground pork in EVERYTHING
My wargaming channel