What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I was re-reading Ready Player One in anticipation of the movie coming out in a couple of months and wanted to check out other titles related to it, so I bought the first book in Tad Williams' series, Otherland: City of Golden Shadow. Sounded interesting.

bbmike

^The preview doesn't look all that promising to me, but I remain hopeful.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 02:03:11 PM
^The preview doesn't look all that promising to me, but I remain hopeful.

For Ready Player One?

I'm in tepid agreement, as the book is amazing - there's SO many 80s culture references that I can't imagine they were able to secure licenses for ALL of them. Which might, for me, remove a lot of the charm of the book. I mean, there's some esoteric stuff in there, so maybe it wouldn't cost that much, but who knows. It would be an organizational nightmare figuring it all out. The preview has some references, but it's not as loaded as I'd hoped it would be.

MetalDog

I wasn't super impressed with the trailer either.  I really dug the book and all the references.  It would suck if they gutted it for whatever reason.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Well, RP1 was in development hell for a while. I would like to think it was because they were trying to secure movie rights to so many things.

There's some things that are just integral to the story (e.g. the WarGames movie and the bronze gate). So, this is either going to be a tremendously awesome homage to he book, or it's going to be a watered-down pile of crap. I told my son to read the book before he sees the movie so if the movie is bad, it doesn't ruin his impression and make him NOT read the book.

MetalDog

Good advice  O0  Heartily endorsed.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Just started The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front, 1915-1919 by Mark Thompson.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: MetalDog on January 11, 2018, 10:56:55 PM
Good advice  O0  Heartily endorsed.

+1. That's what I'm telling people.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Pinetree

Currently reading SpaceCorp after seeing a recommendation on the Atomic Rockets website. Hard SF with a good story and it's also a great read.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

BanzaiCat

Saw the new Jumanji movie last night and they played the RP1 trailer. I missed a few things the first time I saw it, namely what looked like some very book-accurate events, so my hopes have been lifted.

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 13, 2018, 12:56:52 PM
Saw the new Jumanji movie last night and they played the RP1 trailer. I missed a few things the first time I saw it, namely what looked like some very book-accurate events, so my hopes have been lifted.

You're as hopeful as all those Star Wars were before Last Jedi came out.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Who am I kidding. I'll be honest, the trailer gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Finally, finally starting the Warhammer omnibus Thunder and Steel by Dan Abnett.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd