What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Gus, have you read Reynold's 'Revelation Space' trilogy? If not, then do yourself a favour and grab it. Absolutely fantastic stuff.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Been reading the Northern Operations book and it seems like an excellent tome on the subject of German military operations in Denmark and Norway thus far, but there's several misspellings (maybe six so far), some of which are rather egregious that could have been caught with a simple editorial pass. But the quality of the writing is otherwise excellent. Finally getting to the part where the battle of Narvik is winding down near the mid-point/end of May, 1940. Looking forward to reading more about German operations against Murmansk.

Gusington

Ooh thank you Bawb. Have you read Revenger? About 30 pages in and it is taking its sweet time in the buildup.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

^Not yet, but its on my list!

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Alright, so my currently reining Favorite Author has to be Adrian Tchaikovsky. Since picking up "Children of Time" (winner, 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award for Best Novel), I've been devouring his novels. He tinkers in sci fi and light fantasy for the most part, but so far one novel is nothing like another. Honestly, I would have a difficult time choosing my favorite, although having just finishes "Spiderlight", I can say without reservation it's the most entertaining novel I've read in some time. Anyone who has ever played AD&D should stop what you're doing, log onto Amazon and buy Spiderlight right now!  I'll stake a personal reputation point on that score....if I have one left anywhere   8)

So far I've read:

Children of Time
Ironclads
The Tiger and the Wolf
Spiderlight
Guns of the Dawn

Next up is Empire of Black and Gold. Gus, you would in particular enjoy this author, especially Guns of the Dawn and Ironclads.

Gusington

You complete me...I picked up Guns of the Dawn a while ago and will be reading it very soon 👍

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2018, 02:19:52 PM
You complete me...I picked up Guns of the Dawn a while ago and will be reading it very soon 👍

I said I couldn't pick a favorite, but I almost went back and changed my post to reflect my love for Guns of the Dawn. You will greatly enjoy it, Gus  :bd:

Gusington

Just the summary of it sounds very steampunk meets Wizardry, which is all it takes for me.

I have not bought Ironclads yet - sounds like scifi.

I am more interested in his fantasy titles.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2018, 02:44:00 PM
Just the summary of it sounds very steampunk meets Wizardry, which is all it takes for me.

I have not bought Ironclads yet - sounds like scifi.

I am more interested in his fantasy titles.

Ironclads is indeed a mech-ish scifi type of novel. Children of Time is very definitely scifi, although one of the more original ideas I've read in some time.  Spiderlight is a vastly entertaining dark vs light adventure novel that manages to present some standard rpg mantras in a new, often damn funny, light. Guns of the Dawn....just read it. Tiger and the Wolf was a really good read with well-thought out and developed characters and a solid storyline.  Believable characters with depth are a true gift of Tchaikovsky that reflects in all of his writing (except perhaps Ironclads). Good stuff!

bbmike

Oooh, Children of Time sounds interesting.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Quote from: bbmike on February 13, 2018, 03:11:59 PM
Oooh, Children of Time sounds interesting.  8)

I found myself wanting to rush through the parts where humanity was in the spotlight in order to get back to his aliens as quickly as possible. I don't want to give away anything in the book, but he manages to create an alien culture from something familiar and he nails it completely. 

bob48

Just looking at these books on amazon. I can see I'm going to have to read some of these, maybe starting with Guns of the Dawn.

'Clip those corners'

Steelgrave

Hard to go wrong with that thinking, Bawb   8)

bbmike

Quote from: bob48 on February 13, 2018, 03:18:44 PM
Just looking at these books on amazon. I can see I'm going to have to read some of these, maybe starting with Guns of the Dawn.

That also sounds cools. It almost sounds like he was playing Age of Wonders 3 when came up with the idea.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak