What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 23, 2018, 09:24:03 AM
Finally, finally starting the Warhammer omnibus Thunder and Steel by Dan Abnett.

What's that one about? I still have to read the last Eisenhorn/Ravenor book.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^It's Abnett's earliest writing for Games Workshop, three different novels, a couple of short stories and a small graphic novel at the end, all set in the Warhammer (not WH40k) universe.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

What I've been reading lately are RPG pdfs.  Mostly Call of Cthulhu related.

Over the past several months I've read:
Pulp Cthulhu
A huge book Pulp Cthulhu adventure.
Masks of Nyarlahotep and Masks of Nyarlahotep Companion (this totaled 1000 pages).
Atchung Cthulhu (Rules, Players Guide, Guide to the Pacific; Guide to North Africa) among others.
More than a dozen Call of Cthulhu scenarios

I'm reading:
The Laundry RPG (manual and players guide)
The Dresden Files RPG

I've read Modessits' latest novel in the Recluse world and a couple of other books.  But I've almost exclusively been reading RPG things for about six to eight months.

I checked my RPGnow library and it runs more than 10 pages.  I've also bought a ton of stuff from Chaosium.  In all, I think I've spent an amazing amount of time and money on this.  And right now I'm only playing at conventions less than half a dozen times a year.

BanzaiCat

I think I have a ton of Warhammer 40K e-books but I've yet to crack one open.

Currently reading both Ready Player One (still/again) and started Alien: Out of the Shadows.

I bought the Alien book at Christmas and have been wanting to at least start it so I read the first couple of chapters. It's pretty good, but it jumps way too fast into the action. The characters are interesting but the book jumps way too fast into the action without building up tension, which it easily could have done.

Gusington

I think I enjoy WH40k more than WH. WH can be dense, like Thunder and Steel, and can be an insanity inducing slog for me if I don't skim. I have not felt that way with WH40k books.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 25, 2018, 09:50:05 AM
I think I enjoy WH40k more than WH. WH can be dense, like Thunder and Steel, and can be an insanity inducing slog for me if I don't skim. I have not felt that way with WH40k books.

Ironically. And, ironically. (Since chaos insanity is a major factor in both sets of stories.) :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I see what you did there Pratt.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I finished Lost to the West a couple of weeks ago -- not gonna lie, I teared up at the final stand of the last Byzantine Emperor, who chose to die anonymously as one of his soldiers at the end -- and have moved on to the start of Susan Bauer's pre-modern history of the world trilogy (from near-prehistoric times to the end of the Renaissance.) Enjoying that immensely. Making notes for some sourcebooks she's using, to follow up on.

I also started reading a recent biography of Constantine, that I've barely gotten into yet so I don't have much opinion (other than I liked what little I've seen so far -- shaping up to be a very balanced and nuanced account.)

Finished David Paulides' latest Missing 411 collection of cases ("Off the Grid"), which seem to be veering back slightly into "Bigfoot did it, sometimes" territory. Several of the new cases demonstrate that the related but distinctly different murders of (mostly) college aged men in (mostly) urban college areas, with their bodies being (mostly) dumped in ponds and rivers nearby ("A Sobering Coincidence"), continues along. Considering that a retired forensic pathologist and a detective from New York State have also jumped on that case (before Paulides found it, and added incidents to it), and concluded decisively there's some kind of organized murder group behind it, the FBI should be jumping on that case more thoroughly and consistently than they seem to be.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

WallysWorld

Finished "Havana Bay": the fourth book in the Arkady Renko series by George Martin Smith.

I'm about fifty pages into Patrick Rambaud's "The Battle: A Novel" which I am enjoying.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Staggerwing

How was Havana Bay? I've only read up to Red Square.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

WallysWorld

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2018, 10:20:27 PM
How was Havana Bay? I've only read up to Red Square.
Pretty good. The setting in post-Soviet Union Cuba was interesting with the problems that came with Russia cutting off aid to Cuba. As I read each book, I can clearly imagine William Hurt as Renko.

I liked it better than Red Square, but not as good as Gorky Park and Polar Star. I'll take a break from the series before moving onto "Wolves Eat Dogs".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bob48

'Waterloo - the Hundred Days' by David Chandler.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jamus34

Finished "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O"

Currently reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir
Insert witty comment here.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jamus34 on February 11, 2018, 08:20:57 AM
Finished "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O"

Currently reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir

Plot reviews are already out there but if you can please let us know how the novel is from a tech-appreciation perspective.

Gusington

Just started Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd