The Great GrogHead Wargame Scavenger Hunt

Started by bayonetbrant, February 23, 2012, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

OK folks... here's the rules:

THE RULES     THE RULES      THE RULES      THE RULES     
1. You can only post 1 thing at a time for people to try and find.

2. It must be a specific something, like "find a wargame that has ___ town on the map" or "find a depiction of ___ in a wargame" and not "list all wargames published in the 70s that feature "fusiliers".  As a rule, if there are more than 4-5 possible responses, think about narrowing your scope.

3. Respondents MUST POST AN IMAGE OF THE ITEM BEING SOUGHT.  If you scrape an image off of BGG, fine.  If you take your own picture, fine.  But you have to post a picture, not just say "oh yeah, that's in ____ game, remember?"

4.  If you post the question, be prepared to post an answer if no one can find it.  No fishing expeditions!  You need to know the answer exists before you send other people after it.

5.  If no one answers your challenge within a week, you have to post the answer yourself.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

FIRST CHALLENGE!

Find a wargame counter with an image of a rabbit on it.

Note that I said "wargame" counter - no Monty Python or Red Dragon Inn (which has cards, not counters, anyway).

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I think I've ID'd the game but I'm having trouble finding images of the counter.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

I could have sworn Dragonhunt had a rabbit, but I can't find the counter.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

OK guys - I might just post the answers to the first challenge early, to keep the thread moving.

Anyone else have a good obscure item to chase down on the scavenger hunt?

besilarius

Okay, guys here is a different scavenger hunt.
Find a wargame with a Random Events Card that says:
Villain Player Only
Evil Villain Grabs Princess and Runs Off
(See rules for Abduction in Random Events Section)

This should be pretty easy for people of a certain experience in wargaming.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 25, 2012, 08:33:23 AM
Anyone else have a good obscure item to chase down on the scavenger hunt?

Sure.

Guide.

It's not on the map, on a card, or counter.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

Hey, Brant, no one seems to have a clue on the two scavaneger hunts. 
PErsonally I cannot think of any games with wabbit counters (or any Elmer counters either), so I'm stuck on your challenge.
Is there a time limit on the challenges before they are shelved?
I'm guessing that mine was nowhere near sexy enough.  )Princess abduction is so passe.)There is a follow on question, that has a strategic aspect, Nazis, and SS.  What more could a red-blooded american wargamer ask for?
Since there is no response to my first, perhaps it is time to whip it out (nod to sheriff Bart), and put out the next challenge?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on February 26, 2012, 09:18:16 AMPErsonally I cannot think of any games with wabbit counters (or any Elmer counters either), so I'm stuck on your challenge.

OK-  wargame counters with rabbits.

There are 2 that I know of.  One is quite recent.

Battles Magazine #6 featured a game called Into The Bastards about the first tank-on-tank battle in history.

some counters from the game

Clash of Arms also released a game called Eagles Turn East

If you look at the counters on the left side, you'll see a bunch of foraging soldiers holding up rabbits.  Hard to see on the BGG image, but unmistakable on the real counter.

bayonetbrant

OK guys - I got the ball rolling...  anyone else got some good scavenger hunt quests?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on February 25, 2012, 09:26:41 AM
Villain Player Only
Evil Villain Grabs Princess and Runs Off

Can't find this one, after a few bouts of looking.

bayonetbrant

Next "find me" item -

What urban combat wargame includes a scenario in which a mob at a punk rock concert is sent out to riot in the city?

besilarius

Just in time for the new release by Disney pictures.
John Carter of Mars, by SPI.  Some of the big hitters from SPI were involved, Mark Herman, Eric Goldberg, Red Simondson, but it just did not find an audience.
Now, with the movie released - and getting fairly good reviews - it may suddenly become a hot property.  Only thirty years too late!

"With your eyes closed?"

ken ellis

oh boy, the scavenger hunt is off to a roaring start?!?

OK here's two easy ones, which wargame is about babysitting?

and for #2 WHICH SPI GAME, had a victory condition of EAT THE BLONDE!

and yes, I currently own three of the first ( two of which are for sale )  and one of the second no way in hell I'd sell it!

tic tic tic...

Jack Nastyface

Battle for Seattle?

Eat the Blonde is from Creature that Ate Sheboygan.

Sorry, no images available...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.