Main Menu

An Anthem thread

Started by Jarhead0331, February 16, 2019, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I figured I would create a thread to discuss this game, rather than doing so in the FRIDAY thread where it will get lost...

As stated in the the FRIDAY thread...

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The actual gameplay, that is...the story and the universe haven't really grabbed me yet, but the combat is very enjoyable. I like mixing fast paced ground combat with the flight mechanics and the weapons are all very satisfying to use. It sort of reminds me of a combination of Destiny and maybe a mass effect game. Lots of loot and customization. Tons of guns that you can equip or salvage to craft new parts and weapons and a lot of customization options for your javelins.

So far I've been going on private expeditions, but the javelins each seem specialized for the most part so I can see squad play being important as the challenge ramps up and enemies get harder. For my first new javelin I picked the colossus. The heavy suit...it just matches my play style best. I'll unlock a new one at level 8...I'm a level 4 right now.

I played a little freeplay this morning, but only briefly...had to get my daughter to swim class. It was fun, but I did lose some time due to what must have been server issues. I had to closeout the game and reload in order to get into the freeplay zone. This is to be expected for a new release, but I really hope they get it sorted out before retail release on 2/22.

I'd be really interested to see what players who tried out the demo and public beta think. It seems so much better to me than what was previously described.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Didn't realize it is already out for those that shelled extra bucks on the Origin Access Premier program.

Is the game really that Solo-friendly?

How fast paced and/or fun is advancement/progression in the game?

Jarhead0331

Premier access is an interesting thing. I was very much against it at first, but it's really a good value. A basic release these days is $60. With premier you get early access to all the new releases and a library of almost 200 games. You do not need to buy the games separately, so based on my buying habits, I'm definitely saving money with it. It's only $99 for the whole year, so if I only buy two new releases, I've already saved money...

Anyway, I've enjoyed solo play, but I'm very early in the game. It is unquestionably designed as a coop squad based experience. I think once the difficulty ramps up, squad play will be very important. It is also encouraged as you get more experience and better quality loot when playing with a team.

So far, progression seems very reasonable. It is not grindy at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

The gameplay mechanics are very good. The combat and action is very enjoyable and the weapons feel great. Dashing about in the air and on the ground is pretty awesome...however, the game is really held back by uninspired and repetitive mission design. I'm still very early on in the game, but so far the missions have all more or less been very much the same. Go here, kill group of bad guys and collect artifact. Go there kill group of different bad guys and activate device. Go there kill a group of different bad guys and rescue missing researcher, etc. The same mission type for each faction...I hope these branch out as you get deeper into the game.

Finally...the story...for a Bioware title, so far its a big disappointment. I care nothing for the characters, the universe or the plot. I just want to jack back into the world to fly around and kill things. So, I guess thats good, but still...doesn't feel like a Bioware title and this is a big letdown. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...oh, and load times between missions and the main base, the forge or social areas can be painfully long. They need to try to optimize this in order to cut the wait down. Otherwise, no server issues for me other than that one episode I had very early on.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Your impressions mirror what I've been reading online, Jarhead.  Combat is good, but missions suck and there are long and frequent load times.  Same complaints I had after playing the demo, too.

Come on Bioware, sort it out - I'm going to want something to play in about six months when I'm done with The Division 2!

Destraex

My son plays this now and seems to be very engaged. I was happy when he decided not to play fortnite. I will have to keep an eye on this one with a view to limiting time on it. There are certain kinds of games which demand your time 24/7. I am afraid this may be one of those marketing wonders?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Huw the Poo

Well, like all online looter shooters it will certainly encourage grind - although at the moment I'm not sure there's much to grind for...

HoodedHorseJoe

Haven't jumped on it yet, but I played the Demo.

To be honest, at the moment I'm putting my hopes in Division 2. What I played of Anthem was alright but... I don't know, there was something about it that just felt a bit lacking.

From what I've been reading online, seems like there's a few things to iron out anyway so even if my friend group do vote Anthem, I doubt it'll be anytime soon.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

I dumped 10 hours into it this weekend. I still really love the gameplay and combat. It doesn't really feel like a grind. I am able to level up easily every two, sometimes every single mission so progression is fairly steady and reasonable.

Again, the thing holding this game back is everything else, but the actual combat. It's rare that gameplay is so enjoyable while the in between stuff stinks. The story, the interaction with NPCs at base, etc. It really drags the experience down and makes everything outside of actual missions drag and feel like a chore. I'm afraid this stuff will end up killing the game and keep it from becoming a very popular franchise.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Of all the bad things about the game, I think one of the worst and most baffling decisions is how respawning works (or doesn't).  I've been watching people play on Twitch, and I see a lot of players spending a lot of time just staring at the respawn screen because you have to wait for a squadmate to do it for you.  You can't crawl to a safe place.  You can't even access a menu apparently.  So if your squad are in a tight spot you can be waiting a long time before you can get back into the action.  That's just terrible.  Surely they'll change how that works.

glen55

This has been a recurring problem with Bioware games recently. The actual gameplay rocks, but apparently they feel indebted to their past glories as the giant of story-telling RPGs. Everything, every single bloody thing, has to be embedded in some sort of exposition, and when that happens the exposition had better be good.

But it isn't. Back in the days of KOTOR/Jade Empire/Mass Effect, Bioware did some great story-telling, but since EA took over they have gotten really bogged down in what appears to be writing by committee. All the story elements are just paint by numbers, and nothing really fits together to create a whole greater than the parts. SWTOR and ME Andromeda both suffered significantly from gabfest drag, and based on everything I have read the problem is even bigger with Anthem.

Not sure whether I will even try this game from what used to be my favorite game company by a clear margin.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2019, 07:29:07 AM
Of all the bad things about the game, I think one of the worst and most baffling decisions is how respawning works (or doesn't).  I've been watching people play on Twitch, and I see a lot of players spending a lot of time just staring at the respawn screen because you have to wait for a squadmate to do it for you.  You can't crawl to a safe place.  You can't even access a menu apparently.  So if your squad are in a tight spot you can be waiting a long time before you can get back into the action.  That's just terrible.  Surely they'll change how that works.

You do not have to wait for another player to repair or revive you. You can choose to respawn immediately. I'm not sure whether there is some incentive to wait or not.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/197668/anthem-day-one-patch-details

Day One Update Details

High level fixes

Improved loading times
    Fixed many infinite loading screens
    Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
    A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
    Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers

General Fixes and Improvements

Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
    The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
    At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on "Recording Victories" or "Skipping All".
    Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
    During the mission "What Freelancers Do" dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
    Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
    Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
    Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
    Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
    Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
    The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
    Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
    Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
    Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
    Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
    After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
    Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
    Corrected an issue during the Mission "Bad Deal" where outlaws won't spawn, blocking progress
    The start of expedition screen has been improved
    Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
    Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
    Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
    Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
    Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the "Finding Old Friends" mission while the cinematic is playing
    Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
    Increased the damage of the electric status effect
    Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
    The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
    Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans

Strongholds

Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
    Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
    Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
    Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
    Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
    The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
    Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations

Gear and Weapons

After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
    Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
    Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
    Players can no longer salvage equipped items
    Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren't intended for
    Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
    The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip

Javelins

The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
    The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
    Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm's ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
    The Colossus javelin can now shield and revive at the same time
    Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component

Crafting

Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork

Controls

Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made

UI

Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
    The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
    Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
    Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
    Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
    The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
    An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
    The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
    A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player's vault is at the cap of 250 items
    On the "Repair the Strider" step of "A Cry for Help" the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
    Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
    Corrected a user interface issue where a player's ultimate would show as available when it isn't

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 19, 2019, 11:43:22 AM
You do not have to wait for another player to repair or revive you. You can choose to respawn immediately. I'm not sure whether there is some incentive to wait or not.

Hmm, really?  From what I've seen on Twitch (and my experience of the demo) anything of any importance always happens in "respawn restricted" zones.