Brothers in Arms at GOG (and on sale)

Started by DoctorQuest, January 18, 2019, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Great games with a good story and unusual but pleasant mechanics. I liked the series alot.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Road to Hill 30 and Hell's Highway are the best...I've posted some screens around here before. Graphics still hold up. Good story too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

Works well on Win 8.1 through Steam, too. Or the first game does anyway, haven't gotten to the others yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Which do you enjoy more, The Saboteur or Brothers in Arms?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

I was interested in this. I decided to go to Steam to see if they were there and, if so, also on sale there. They were on Steam, though not on sale. Then I noticed that I had already purchased them last June.  :hide:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2019, 05:41:36 PM
^Which do you enjoy more, The Saboteur or Brothers in Arms?

I finished Saboteur long ago, and played through it to the end without stopping (much).

I got stuck on a hellacious map during the first BiA game (maybe about halfway through), and gave up on it, refusing to dial down the difficulty because this was back during the days of more-or-less dialup internet and I didn't want to lose the ability to see the developer diaries which unlock as rewards for completing a level on higher difficulties.

Today I can just download those from youtube (though in the ones I have the audio is terrible). So when I rebought the series on Steam, I started over again (from scratch naturally). Got too distracted playing other things and haven't gone back, but I'm not yet up to the point where I ragequit the first time.

They are very, very, very different games, aside from a generally similar aesthetic and setting (WW2 France, often in the boonies.)

If you liked the narrative thrust of Company of Heroes' main campaign, you'll like this. If you liked Band of Brothers, this covers a lot of the same ground (based on the same memoirs if I recall correctly). Somewhat literally, since the developers went out of their way to take ground-level photo recon of actual sites traveled by the real-life airborne troops during their missions!

Be aware that BiA is just as loudly cussy as the Saboteur, maybe moreso (again like Company of Heroes), so if you're going to play it with the volume up, be situationally aware. ;)

For $15 total at GoG -- though I don't know anything about their conversion being successful -- the three games are a steal. Aside from narratively immortal NPC minions whom you order around, it's an evocative walk-through of the travails of the team.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

When I jumped over to GOG and plonked the games in my basket they price-adjusted to two-fiddy each, shebben-fiddy for all. Win!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Holy crap mine went to 7.50 total too. I cannot refuse this. I am weak.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Road to Hill 30 is the first one, correct? I should play that first?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just futzing around with the settings and no game from 2005 has any right to look this good.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd