What were the earliest video games you played?

Started by Greybriar, August 18, 2018, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

One of the earliest I can remember was a version of Star Trek on the university mainframe.  It looked something like:

Then there was a Lunar Lander type game played on the PDP-11 using a light pen:

One game I remember very fondly from my C64 days was Lords of Conquest.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DoctorQuest

Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2018, 03:19:21 PM
One of the earliest I can remember was a version of Star Trek on the university mainframe.  It looked something like:

That's what I'm talking about!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Destraex

Quote from: Greybriar on August 18, 2018, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 18, 2018, 01:10:22 PM
Does it have to be a video game?....

I admit that the term "video game" conjures up images of gaming platforms other than PCs and I gave some thought to what other word or phrase to use that would be more appropriate to what I had in mind. But when I read the definition of "video game" at Wikipedia, I was relieved to see: "A video game is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device such as a TV screen or computer monitor." So computer (PC) games fit under the umbrella created by the term "video game."

Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 18, 2018, 01:10:22 PM
....Good thread.

Thank you for contributing to it. I was happy to read that you are enjoying it. :)

Back on topic, how may of you played this game to death like I did?

Same. Way back when video games were a different breed to computers games. I did not like people using video gamer to describe people who played the much more complex pc games. Today it would be the difference between console gamers and pc gamers.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tuna

Tuna

Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2018, 03:19:21 PM

Then there was a Lunar Lander type game played on the PDP-11 using a light pen:

One game I remember very fondly from my C64 days was Lords of Conquest.

Definitely remember playing that version of Star Trek on vax 11/780. .used to stay late after work (worked 3rd shift), so I could play all day on Saturday.. (talk about one more turn!)

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

"Pong" followed by Space Battle on the Intellivision. Kampgruppe for the C-64.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

When we finally got our first Packard Bell 8088, this was the first game I played...

Second was Battle Chess.   Got my very own copy of Starflight third.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Oche

Good to see a lot of other "Retro" gamers  O0

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on August 18, 2018, 10:12:11 PM
Any of you guys remember this?

Damn- procedural generated fractal mountains!? That's pretty hard-core for an 8-bit game from 1985!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

I do indeed remember it - I still have the blisters!

And that was followed by Koronis Rift IIRC.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

steve58

Ha, just stumbled on the C64 Mini.  Looks like its about $80.

It's 1982 and a new home computer graces the scene. Out goes the silent black and white experience and in with 64KB of RAM, colour graphics, and synthesizer sound.

Roll forward 35 years and kick nostalgia into overdrive with the release of THEC64 Mini. A tiny but perfectly formed 50% scale replica of this much loved machine.

Featuring high-definition output via HDMI, a classic style joystick and 64 built-in games including classics like Uridium, Paradroid, Hawkeye, Nebulus and Monty Mole.

https://thec64.com/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Had that on my 2600.  I killed at that game.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob