"The Death Ride of Jean Lannes" -- An 1809 Kriegsspiel

Started by Cyrano, July 04, 2018, 02:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

All players in the second game, now officially titled "Spring in Munich - An 1809 Kriegsspiel Campaign" please note we have our own sub-forum now. All future posts about this game will be in there. The sub-forum is at http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?board=96.0.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 12, 2018, 07:51:19 PM
Be aware that if you use the forum to email members, the email will arrive looking like it's from Brant.

I'm trying to rewire that tonight.

Mainly so I don't have to keep emailing people and tell them their replies went nowhere
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Quote from: besilarius on July 12, 2018, 05:54:10 PM
Actually, it is Mrs. Bawb that everyone should fear.
One does not mess with the Mrs. Bawb!

If you are truly scraping the bottom of the barrel, I'll try to fill in a gap.

Thanks for the offer, and I may very well take you up on it!

JasonPratt

I think we may still be missing Neal's email in the group? (Lloyd is Pinetree, right?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Regret to report that Erzherzog Carl Ludwig Johann Joseph Laurentius von Österreich, Herzog von Teschen sent a message so long that paper stock throughout Österreich has now been eradicated.

Further communication must be conducted via smoke signals.

Regards,

Feldmarschall Johann Karl, Graf von Kolowrat-Krakowsky
II Corps

JasonPratt

Or by kaiju.

...edited to add: Benedryl is a harsh mistress.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Dear sir,

Do NOT ever write your orders in Haiku. If you do, I will take my II Corps to Fiji and live among the island native women.

Yours etc.,

Feldmarschall Johann Karl, Graf von Kolowrat-Krakowsky (Mrs.)
II Corps

JasonPratt

I have to say that,
as a threat, those details seem
oddly con-ven-ient.

(Had to make sure that
the syllable variant
came out right at the... ...... end, drat.)

Cyrano

*I knew B_C would fit in...I just knew it...*

IN-BRIEFS ARE SENT!

Holy cow, we're going to do this again.

As with any game, it's not until you lay it down, spread out the pieces, and start to see the story it's telling that you have those "oh, my, goodness" moments.

Had one last night as I was close-reading the briefings for both sides and studying the poster-sized map I now have on my wall.

>:D

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

I just don't want to peeve off the normies in this game that have done it before. My knowledge of Napoleonic tactics is limited, as is my knowledge of this very campaign (or any of them in this timeframe, to be honest).

The only thing it looks like my commander knows is his way around a croissant. I mean, look at all the chins. How glorious.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 15, 2018, 10:16:37 AMMy knowledge of Napoleonic tactics is limited

good thing it's an operational-level game :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 15, 2018, 10:16:37 AM
I just don't want to peeve off the normies in this game that have done it before. My knowledge of Napoleonic tactics is limited, as is my knowledge of this very campaign (or any of them in this timeframe, to be honest).

The only thing it looks like my commander knows is his way around a croissant. I mean, look at all the chins. How glorious.

I felt this way at the start of the last one. The only thing you really need to worry about is getting your troops to the right place at the right time. Your division commanders know their stuff and will fight for you. Just support them by not wearing them out with frivolous marching to and fro OR throwing them into battles where they are grossly outnumbered.
Think I managed the first and not so well on the second.  :P

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2018, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 15, 2018, 10:16:37 AM

I felt this way at the start of the last one. The only thing you really need to worry about is getting your troops to the right place at the right time. Your division commanders know their stuff and will fight for you. Just support them by not wearing them out with frivolous marching to and fro OR throwing them into battles where they are grossly outnumbered.
Think I managed the first and not so well on the second.  :P

Very much this! Don't worry too much about not knowing. Everyone is operating in an information vacuum. These are learning games.

Cyrano

WE HAVE HAD A SUBSTITUTION!!

In the interest of letting as many folks play as possible, Doug has stepped aside to let Treb on in!

All, please welcome him.

B_C:  What they said.  As I said in the in-brief, in some ways, it's a lot easier to do than describe...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on July 15, 2018, 11:24:47 AM
WE HAVE HAD A SUBSTITUTION!!

In the interest of letting as many folks play as possible, Doug has stepped aside to let Treb on in!

All, please welcome him.

B_C:  What they said.  As I said in the in-brief, in some ways, it's a lot easier to do than describe...

WHAT?!? How am I supposed to unhorse the mighty panzerde now????? No great Lannes death scene....  :tickedoff: