Excellent Audio Books

Started by airboy, June 25, 2018, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

There are not a lot of dramatized audio books out there.  By dramatized I mean sound effects, multiple voice actors and the like.

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society has done a bunch of Lovecraft stories that are very well dramatized.  They have done a few other works as well.  If you decide to buy, don't get the CDs.  They come with some extra stuff that makes it hard to put the CD back in the case and don't add anything to the audible work. 

I've listened to hundreds of audio books, and these are some of the best works I've ever listened to.

Airborne Rifles

Not dramatized, but the Audible audio version of the Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant has the best narrator I've ever heard. Really made the humor and humanity of the work come alive in a way that I didn't get from reading it myself.

airboy

Dark Adventure Radio Theater has a 7 hour dramatization of Masks of Nyarlathotep RPG supplement for Call of Cthulhu.  I've done a 1,100 word review from my two listens and my wife (who has not read Masks or played Call of Cthulhu in 25 years) who also listened to it.

Short version - I really like it, but it is pricy at $35.

1,100 word detailed review can be found at:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/23/dark-adventure-radio-theaters-masks-of-nyarlathotep-a-review/

[I'm also posting this in books.  This is in two different topic areas].

solops

The Brethren by John Grisham. Not dramatized but hilarious. About three judges, intelligent and mostly highly educated, bored with too much time on their hands as they languish in prison....
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

IICptMillerII

Lots of Star Wars audio books have sound effects, music and voice acting in them. The narrator Mark Thompson is particularly good and narrates lots of the higher profile novels. The Thrawn Trilogy is exceptionally well done in audio book form.

I haven't come across other audio books that come close to the Star Wars ones, though I haven't listened to any of the Lovecraft stuff mentioned here. Not sure of any non fiction audio books that have extensive effects.

airboy

Dagon: War of the Worlds by Dark Adventure Radio Theater was pretty good.  It is a Cthulhu mythos story about world-wide events years after what took place at A Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Call of Cthulhu.

The Emberverse audio books series by S.M. Stirling are very good.  I've listened to the first 8 or so in the Series - I just finished listening to The Tears of the Sun which is book 8 in the series.