Victory at Sea - Pacific

Started by FlickJax, June 07, 2018, 04:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 07, 2018, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 07, 2018, 08:40:51 AM
Kind of looks like my first wife, pretty but shallow. Hope I'm wrong about this, I was about her.  :coolsmiley:

Come on.  You know if this game was called [i[Victory at Sea:  Warhammer in the Pacific[/i], you guys would be going crazy for it!

Yep.  If only there was such a game.  I made a mod to WiTP called Thunderball that was sort of like that.  I built the mod to beef up the Japs.  I was a Jap using that mod and still lost.  Twice.
Where is the Justice?  I'll tell you: never give the allied player any political points: he will kill you.

jomni

Quote from: Tuna on June 07, 2018, 08:53:53 AM
Kind of looks like my first wife, pretty but shallow. Hope I'm wrong about this, I was about her.  :coolsmiley:

Agreed, the torpedo spam in the video doesn't look realistic!

But in no way they claimed realism so I'm expecting arcade stuff here.

Tuna

Quote from: jomni on June 07, 2018, 05:50:56 PM
Quote from: Tuna on June 07, 2018, 08:53:53 AM

Agreed, the torpedo spam in the video doesn't look realistic!

But in no way they claimed realism so I'm expecting arcade stuff here.

Arcade is fine, but 'that' is ridiculous! LOL, the BB drivers in World of Warships would SCREAM!

Cyrano

The TTG on which this is based mutated a space combat game into a fun, playable, and somewhat silly brawling battleships kind of experience.  My friends who loved watching Midway but were having none of "Seekrieg" and the like became obsessed with it.

Lack of MP means I am disappointed and out.  Not acceptable at this point in the great arc of PC game development.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jameseviltwin

Hi guys, thanks for the thoughts, it has more meat than the original by a long way. It is not a sim and we wouldn't pretend it was. Torpedoes launched from the IJN Kitakami torpedo cruiser. The rest of the ships don't spam torps like that in game. We will be looking at thoughts and feedback (we want to get the balance right on this game and have tried to listen to the audience) so always up for feedback as we go. We will be doing some Twitch videos to discuss the mechanics. If you check out the Steam forum we will be placing announcements about that. Then you can get a sense of what is going on in the game and if you have any ideas. If you have any questions let me know.

RyanE

Is there a planned release date?  I didn't see one.

jameseviltwin

We haven't confirmed one yet (we don't know ourselves yet tbh!)

Cyrano

Kind of you to drop by.  I'd say brave, but we're a relatively well-behaved bunch.

Since you did, I'll ask, why no MP?

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

sandman2575

Wishlisted.

Have to agree with the other comments -- the one visual that does give me pause in the video is the absurd torpedo spam. Yes, the IJN was highly skilled in torpedo tactics, but give me a break.

Perfectly happy if this is more arcade than realism, but @jameseviltwin, I hope you'll be open to the idea of toning down some of the more flagrantly unrealistic things in the game.

Love that it has a full campaign layer. Definitely looking forward to this one!

Cyrano

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2018, 09:43:37 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on June 08, 2018, 09:42:56 AM
we're a relatively well-behaved bunch.

since when?

HUSH.  Quit scaring the nice guests.  This is why we never have visitors.

jameseviltwin

No problem, I like constructive criticisms. It has given me some ideas about how better to deal with the torpedo cruiser (as I said most ships don't do this in game anyway, was just a cool visual for the trailer) One to discuss on the forums!

Millipede

From Wikipedia, for whatever that's worth. "On 25 August 1941, Kitakami returned to Sasebo for conversion to a "torpedo cruiser" with ten quadruple torpedo tube mounts for the 61 cm (24 in) Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedo".

em2nought

Felt like things, aircraft, ships, torpedoes were moving too fast to me.  Contrails not so sure about.  The world feels so dark, like a "b" movie trying to disguise the cheap sets.  The Pacific always feels like it should be light to me, even if not in real life.  Needs some good Japanese mood music like Tora, Tora, Tora soundtrack too.  :smitten:
Stolen elections have consequences.

mbar

I'm getting a PTO IV vibe from the trailer which I thought was a fun game.