Solo With Spoilers

Started by Sir Slash, May 29, 2018, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2018, 08:40:54 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2018, 08:04:05 PM

I apologize. You are far less deserving of the nerd moniker than Pratt.

Just give me a minute.

I think you covered it in your previous post.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2018, 08:48:10 PM

I think you covered it in your previous post.

Just getting started!

And aha!  Yeah, checking Son of Dathomir, it actually does give some more connection to Solo. 

Maul kept up his alliance with the Pykes and Shadow Collective, both of which were referenced in Solo.  The Pykes were the ones running Kessel.  This is why Crimson Dawn was unwilling to strike the Pykes openly. 

So it seems they are sticking close to where Maul was left off at Son of Dathomir.  Now, why he ends up where he does in Rebels is another story.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

No, I agree, I didn't say they were retconning things yet in Solo -- I agree, they're being too busy with the continuity.

But I don't trust them (after TLJ) to stick with continuity if later they decide they want Maul to be, let's say, purely off the top of my head, hiding out on a planet because he wants to die alone, when everything in the previous film indicated he was doing something else.

On the other hand, that might have bit Disney in the ass too hard, trying to be dismissively clever-cute with their own aroused creative genius (or whatever), so maybe they learned their lesson? I don't suppose it's technically impossible, but I still don't trust them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Look, there's a reason why I was vague about the Clone Wars connection :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 29, 2018, 08:12:53 PM
My avatar is a promotional photo of myself, which I shot of myself, for a novel I published myself, which I paid for myself, 5000 units of which will be pulped soon because my own distributor doesn't care about me even paying rent on it anymore.

Your analysis is correct.  O0

Well, my avatar is a cartoon version of myself and my wife, who is also a published author (though she doesn't allow me to share details past that due to, well, things) done Star Wars style!

NERD OFF!!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

Like you can turn the nerd off.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 29, 2018, 08:51:00 PM
No, I agree, I didn't say they were retconning things yet in Solo -- I agree, they're being too busy with the continuity.

But I don't trust them (after TLJ) to stick with continuity if later they decide they want Maul to be, let's say, purely off the top of my head, hiding out on a planet because he wants to die alone, when everything in the previous film indicated he was doing something else.

On the other hand, that might have bit Disney in the ass too hard, trying to be dismissively clever-cute with their own aroused creative genius (or whatever), so maybe they learned their lesson? I don't suppose it's technically impossible, but I still don't trust them.

I think they've learned a bit of a lesson because of the billions they've got from sticking to a coherent continuity in Marvel.

Just using your example.  I can't see Disney thinking, in a theoretical, that that end would be better for Maul, compared to what we got in Rebels.  I mean, I admit, Rebels was a kids show most of the time, but Maul and Kenobi's final battle was some Kurosawa level stuff.   They seem to be putting thought into what they're doing. 

But, that said, I think Solo is a misstep

JasonPratt

...yeah, well, uh, I could have potentially maybe had a published author wife I couldn't talk about someday really!

(Not really.)

Oh, I can add to your Maul-canon connection, btw: he was voiced by the same guy who does him in the animated series.

But let me add to my prediction of despair, too. Darth Maul isn't really there as a Solo sequel hook. He's really there as a hook for the Obi-solo film, so that Star Wars can work on creating a shared universe of films. (Which they don't really have yet, technically speaking, as insane as it sounds to say that. Solo's a first step in that.)

And when that film happens, how do you think they're going to handle Obi-wan and Maul having already met (with Savage Clancy Brown, and Adult Ventriss) and fought pretty decisively in the past?

Search your feelings. You know it to be true. They aren't going to remake those episodes in live-action, and they aren't going to make a quadrillion-dollar film that simply skips over Darth Maul's return grudge match terrorist operation.

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2018, 09:03:29 PM
I think they've learned a bit of a lesson because of the billions they've got from sticking to a coherent continuity in Marvel.

Nope. I can decisively and deductively prove that not enough people over Kennedy's pay grade learned a single lesson from that, in three words:

The.

Last.

Jedi.

A film that wasn't made between Iron Man 1 and the Hulk rebootquel. That film was made after Disney made billions sticking to a (mostly) coherent continuity in Marvel.

Edited to add: I'm willing to allow they might have learned something from the backlash to TLJ. But they clearly didn't learn anything from Marvel about respecting continuity and the fan support.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

You and I don't share the same point of view on The Last Jedi, so we can agree to disagree. 

After Disney killed the EU, created the story group, put Hidalgo in charge of continuity, I doubt they're going to openly start contradicting and retoconning themselves.   The Last Jedi might not connect with people's IDEA of where the continuity should go, but that doesn't meant it retcons anything. 

They could have just kept things as they were with the EU with multiple levels of official, canon, movie canon and TV canon, but they didn't.  I'd imagine they're going to stick to it, especially when this movie hasn't performed quite the way they desired. 

We'll see.  If they decide to wreck the continuity they spent a lot of time hyping and building, they'll lose people like me.   It's not a demographic they want to sacrifice.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 29, 2018, 09:11:18 PM
...yeah, well, uh, I could have potentially maybe had a published author wife I couldn't talk about someday really!

(Not really.)

Aside from being a teacher in my day job, I'm the COO of her LLC.  So I get two monthly paychecks from my spouse.  I call it my sugar momma allowance.  It's funny.

Sir Slash

This also could be part of Thanos' evil plan to destroy half our universe by using the Time Stone to go back and save Darth Maul thus turning us against each other with a snap of his fingers, justifying his actions. Or maybe Opie-Wan never watched any of the other Star Wars films and don't know shit about what he's doing and just did what Disney wanted so he can get his "Mayberry" ride at Disney World. My bet is it's not really Maul at all, it's his cloned twin, Darth Paul. Think about it.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Sir Slash

NERD LIVES MATTER!!!! Though.... I'm not sure why.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 29, 2018, 10:15:53 PM
NERD LIVES MATTER!!!! Though.... I'm not sure why.

Ask the Auburn College Bowl team in 1999!   KICKING YOUR ASS WITH TRIVIA!

Sir Slash

Trivia, the Nerd Equalizer.  :nerd: