I'm finally convinced...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 10, 2018, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

...that Windows 10 is utter and complete shite. Seriously, I believe the latest updates have rendered not one, but two high-end systems completely useless.

WTF!?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

That sucks, dude. One of the big reasons I've stayed away from Win 10 is the mandatory updates.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Alright...so the problem may not be entirely the fault of windows. It could be a very severe problem caused by webroot, my antivirus software. Windows will not boot and it's telling me that the problem is the result of a file WRkrn.sys, which is allegedly missing or corrupt. This is a webroot driver that apparently has been known to cause this problem on windows machines under certain circumstances. The fix is allegedly to remove or replace the file. Problem is, I cannot get windows to load to access the file. I can't even get safe mode or a command prompt. So, I'm making a recovery drive on a usb. If I can't get it sorted, it will be off to geek squad. This issue may be over my limited tech capabilities and I'll be damned if I'm goi;to buy ANOTHER system.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Wow. Not even the recovery usb could help me. It did get me into the troubleshooting menu, but it won't restore the system. I suspect it is because the recovery drive comes from a win10pro system and I'm trying to restore a win10home system. It will get me to a command prompt but I can't seem to do much with it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 11, 2018, 12:01:17 AM
It will get me to a command prompt but I can't seem to do much with it.

If you can get that far, can't you just delete or rename the file and see if that allows your PC to boot?  From what I've found this morning it seems like the offending file is:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\WRkrn.sys

So at the command prompt just rename it to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\WRkrn.bak or something like that, then give booting a try.

Jarhead0331

I've tried that, but the recovery usb gives me x:\windows\system32 and whenever I try to rename or delete the file, it gives me a path not specified or does not exist error message.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Try booting from a linux distro disk or stick and then using it's file manager to rename the bad file. You can make a bootable Ubutu disk or stick here:

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/1710

After making the change you can reboot back into Win10

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

I read about Ubuntu as a potential path to a fix but I've never heard of it and it seemed very complicated. Linux? Yeah right.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

You don't install the Linux distro, you just create the boot disk. Then:

[1] boot from it
[2] go into your Windows file folders using a fairly familiar looking file manager (much like Windows)
[3] deal with the offending file
[4] take out the boot disk
[5] reboot into Windows again

After that you can throw the disk away, save it for future issues, use it for a coaster, hang it from your birdfeeder to confuse the squirrels, etc, etc.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Huw the Poo

Yes, exactly what Staggerwing said.  A Linux live disk was going to be my next suggestion - it really should work.  It can access Windows filesystems just fine, and all you need to do is rename or delete that file.

Jarhead0331

Wow. So this is seriously FUBAR.

I went back to ubuntu and successfully created a bootable USB drive. I'm able to get the computer running with ubuntu and search the file system in the windows/system32/drivers folder. The supposedly corrupt file that I need to rename or delete isn't even fucking there!?!?!

On the chance that it is missing, I tried bringing it over from a working system. I was able to get the file into the proper directory by renaming it first. However, after moving the file over, when I shut down and rebooted, the new file was gone??? WTF? I'm all out of options at this point I think. All sources I have found on the internet state that the WRkrn.sys error is a webroot error requiring that file to be deleted or renamed. How am I supposed to do that if the stupid file isn't even there? I tried to check if it was hidden, but there didn't seem to be any obvious way to hide or unhide files in ubuntu. What about uninstalling webroot from ubuntu? Is this a possibility?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 11, 2018, 08:15:52 AM
What about uninstalling webroot from ubuntu? Is this a possibility?

You could try to remove the webroot directory but that wouldn't take care of removing it from the Windows registry. It might still work but then you'd need to clean up the registry later on. It might also bork things a bit more.

I'm wondering if this is not some kind of virus causing the file to disappear.

Jarhead0331

I just don't know. All I do know is that I'm a broken man without my main gaming rig. First world problems...lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

Can't you just plop in your backup drive?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak