Of interest to Tolkien fans

Started by Greybriar, January 21, 2018, 06:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Ubercat on January 22, 2018, 10:31:07 AM
Compared to the original trilogy, the hobbit films are like the most expensive Saturday morning cartoons ever made.

;D

That's a good simile for the Hobbit series!  Stealin' that.

Don't think I've even seen the third one in that series yet.  I suppose the cartoonish feel of those just didn't drive me to pursue it.  Will catch it showing on some service eventually.

JasonPratt

Hobbit 3 has some advantages.

1.) It's the shortest film. (Even the extended cut, compared to the other extended cuts.) I assume the advantage here is obvious. ;)

2.) Dragon cataclysm.

3.) Some of the drama as the inherent insanity of Thorin's family is aggravated by the dragon gold. (I said SOME OF  the drama. ;) )

4.) The other dwarven king, Dain Ironfoot, is a hoot. (Scottish comedian.)

5.) Related to 4, the only overt cursing in all six films. (Ymmv.)

6.) Somewhat related to 5, the battle itself in the extended edition pulled an R rating due to a crazy scene involving goats. And lots of blood and decapitations.

7.) Not remotely what you're thinking.

8.) Probably.

9.) The battle itself is occasionally kick-ass in inventive and emotional ways. (See also some relation to point 6.)

10.) Galadriel auditioning for Hela by slapping Sauron's stupid eye-face back to Mount Doom, will never not be entertaining (even if not really book accurate either).

11.) The expected character deaths (for those who know the book) are handled somewhat better than in the books. (Even if they also somewhat rely on stupidity. WHY ARE YOU EVEN FOLLOWING HIM, DUMBASS!? IF HE ISN'T DEAD YET, LET HIM POP UP AWAY FROM YOU! -- OTHERWISE LET HIM GO!)

12.) Arguably the best shot / short-scene of the whole Hobbit trilogy, two friends on an insanely high frozen waterfall, wordlessly worn out with the tragic fighting (still winding up below), sharing a pipe.

13.) Look at all those soon to be dead minions who just killed the battle elk, lol.

14.) Thranduil (the elvenking) does not give a crap for what you or anyone else thinks. He kind of spends the film trolling everyone else.

15.) For whom does the bell toll, suckers? KHAZAD DU-BEKAR!

...I mean, it has its weaknesses. The Seventh Doctor and the WereCavebear needed substantially more screentime eating the 5th or maybe 6th army, to justify that last army being a threat that needed stopping. A bunch of swooping eagles doesn't cut it. I can never forgive the film for that lapse, even if technically I understand it's superfluous to the various main characters doing their things elsewhere.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!