Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition

Started by Jarhead0331, January 17, 2018, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anybody playing? How is it? I'm considering this as my first serious table-top board game in a looooong time...like since the first edition of Axis & Allies and Shogun! Not sure where I'll find another two to six players, but I'll worry about that later...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

There's a guy I know on FB that lives close to me that is a huge fan of TI. He offered to teach v3 to us a month back but I wasn't able to make it.

I never pulled the trigger on v3 because it was just way too big and took way too much time to set up - especially for solo play.

I would be curious too, how v4 stacks up.

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2018, 10:35:42 AM
Not sure where I'll find another two to six players, but I'll worry about that later...

Buy it and they will come
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 17, 2018, 11:04:04 AM
Not sure where I'll find another two to six players, but I'll worry about that later...

Buy it and they will come

He didn't ask about the world's oldest profession, you know.

Yskonyn

I have both 3 and 4.

4 is supposed to be a more streamlined version. It plays faster and there is less bogging down in technicalities. At least that's how the devs pitch it.
I haven't been able to play 4 yet, but the rules do indicate it should play quicker.

As with all new versions old saps cry havoc about the 4th edition. It takes away stuff they love.
But I have not enough experience to say either way.

I can tell you that I absolutely love 3. I look forward to 4.

One thing though:
Even though the game is marketed as being suitable for 3+ players, it plays best with 6 and IMO it actually is the minimum required. So its quite a hassle to get a filled table. At least for me it is.

You can also opt to go play by email via VASSAL, but thats a long commitment.
Check Boardgamegeek or www.ti3pbf.com.
There is also an active community over at Tabletop Simulator, but they play a custom version called Shattered Ascension (TI3 plus 2 expansions, modded with house rules).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bayonetbrant

Anybody playing? How is it? I'm considering this as my first serious table-top board game in a looooong time...like since the first edition of Axis & Allies and Shogun! Not sure where I'll find another two to six players, but I'll worry about that later...

As with any Fantasy Flight game, you need to think about 2 things - play time and space.  You will need a big-ass table for all the bits & pieces they use in their games, and you'll need at least a full afternoon to play a normal-length game.

I really wonder how FFG's designs would be impacted if someone replaced all the tables in their building with 4'x4' folding card tables. ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers